buffalo wyr-g54 router not working

janetsky 13:29 21 Jan 06

can anyone please help me with the above product. Does it work with telewest broadband?

PaulB2005 13:35 21 Jan 06

Working here just fine.

mgmcc 13:39 21 Jan 06

Yes it works with Telewest - this is the same router that I use with Telewest in conjunction with Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and with both "wired" and "wireless" connections.

What particular problem are you having because I found it an extremely easy router to set up?

janetsky 14:07 21 Jan 06

when I attach the router base station to the modem it wont connect to the internet. I seem to have to do this in order to configure the airstation.

PaulB2005 14:12 21 Jan 06

Is the modem plugged into the WAN port? Not one of the numbered LAN ports?

Once this is done type 192.168.11.1 into Internet Explorer to access the router configuration pages. the default username and password is admin and password.

This is best done with an Ethernet Cable between the PC and the router.

mgmcc 14:24 21 Jan 06

Firstly, power everything off including the Cable Modem. Leave the Cable Modem without power for a couple of minutes; this is important so that when it is booted it recognises there is a different connection to it and it will allocate a new IP address.

Connect the cable modem by ethernet cable to the router's WAN port and connect another cable from the PC's network adapter to one of the router's LAN ports.

Power on the Cable Modem and wait for it to get its four steady green lights. Then power on the router - the green "Power" light and the green "WAN" light should be on. The WAN light may "flicker" due to activity from the Cable Modem. Now boot the PC and its Local Area Connection (the network adapter connected to the router) should have an IP address in the 192.168.11.x range, probably 192.168.11.2

You should then be able to access the router's Setup pages by entering 192.168.11.1 (the router's IP address) into a web browser. It shouldn't actually be necessary to have the router online to the internet to be able to access the Setup pages.

If you swapped the connection from the PC to the router, without powering the Cable Modem off, and it failed to connect and you then swapped it back to the PC and it did work, this indicates that the connection with your PC hadn't been "released" to allow the router to get its connection.

janetsky 14:33 21 Jan 06

Thanks. It's all very new to me and I thought it would be easy for a novice pc user! I have already switched off the computer connected the modem to the airstation via the ethernet cable from the modem. The only other cable that came with the airstation is an ethernet cable which I have connected to the LAN port on the airstation and then into the modem. My computer is already networked to another pc via a wire so I'm not sure whereelse to plug the ethernet cable from the airstation into. I have also purchased a usb wireless adapter which I though might resolve the problem. It may seem obvious now that I'm not sure what I'm doing. Can you help?

mgmcc 14:49 21 Jan 06

<<< I have already switched off the computer connected the modem to the airstation via the ethernet cable from the modem. >>>

The really important part is to switch off the power to the *CABLE MODEM* so that it "releases" its existing connection to the PC.

<<< The only other cable that came with the airstation is an ethernet cable which I have connected to the LAN port on the airstation and then into the modem >>>

The supplied ethernet cable goes between the router's *WAN* port (Wide Area Network - the intenet) and the Cable Modem.

<<< My computer is already networked to another pc via a wire so I'm not sure whereelse to plug the ethernet cable from the airstation into. >>>

You disconnect the ethernet cable between the two PCs and and connect it from one of the PCs to one of the router's LAN ports. A similar cable goes from the other PC to a second LAN port on the router (LAN = Local Area Network). However, get one PC working first and you can then use your USB wireless adapter to connect the second PC "wirelessly" instead of requiring another cable - your two PCs will still be networked, but the connection goes via the router.

If you had "Internet Connection Sharing" set up in either of your computers, this must be disabled when using a router. Internet access for both PCs comes from the router, there is no longer a "host" PC and a "client" PC.

janetsky 15:18 21 Jan 06

thanks i'll have a go and let you know.

janetsky 12:17 22 Jan 06

Thank you so much for your detailed info it is much more helpful than the booklet that came with the buffalo airstation! I was able to quickly set up the airstation and both pcs and am now using a laptop to type this!!

cpikey316_ 06:13 26 Jan 06

I bought this router from dabs with a buffalo wireless card. Have set the wired part up ok, have 2 computers connected to it, cable modem (NTL) is plugged into the modem and works fine on both. Setting up the wireless part however is causing a bit of a headache! Followed the router instruction for the security part, installed the cd stuff and plugged the card in, the laptop finds the card but doesnt seem to be detecting a signal from the router.

Can anyone help? This is doing my head in now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…