Buffalo or Linksys?

nilescrane 16:49 27 Nov 07

I have a Linksys router atm for my Virgin connection, but I'm moving soon and need a router/modem. I've read a rave review in a mag of the Buffalo WBMR-G125.
I'm thinking about getting this, or the Linksys Wireless-G.

Does anyone have experience of these routers?

Many thanks.

john bunyan 18:36 27 Nov 07

I've had a Linksys WAG54GX2 connected to desktop by ethernet and matching wireless laptop card for about a year. Big house, some concrete walls - good signal. Bit of a pain to set up but works very well.

nilescrane 19:50 28 Nov 07

Thanks for the info.

nilescrane 00:24 22 Jan 08

I got the Buffalo modem/router (regrettably ignoring the Linksys recommendation). It was ok when plugged into the computer, but only received a poor or non-existent signal on my wifi radio. So I plugged the old Linksys modem into the Buffalo and the wifi signal is fine. Could the Buffalo be faulty, or is it just inferior?

sand_danser 20:50 22 Jan 08

I've got a Buffalo WZR-G300N & the following;
WII
PS3
2xDS
2 PC's
1 cabled

The router works flawlessly and bangs out a gr8 signal thru our small terraced house without any problems. The 'N' is for the up & coming new bandwidth which'll test it properly but I honestly can't fault Buffalo having upgraded from an "Air Station.
The Buffalo's have got the AOSS option which are in cahoots with NINTENDO & really do set up a w/l conn. with 1 touch of each device & secures it too!

Linksys routers are good for the average UK house but you do need to drop the channel to a lower than default one for older premises with thicker walls etc. in order to get a more dense signal for penetration of the walls. If ya signal drops out try logging into the router (192.168.1.1) & drop the channel to see if it gives a better signal.
Linksys (& NETGEAR) tend to drop packets & generally huck fup if ya d/l a lot of the time so beware but the newer ones (108mbps) seem to be ok.

One for the future may be TP-Link who are flooding the UK with top notch routers, WLAN cards with detachable ariels, massive antennaes to replace the ariels with, w/l adaptors & all dirt cheap too so keep an eye out for them ;)

I'm no expert but I do go out setting routers up for a living, hope that helps ppl :)

nilescrane 23:47 27 Jan 08

Thanks for all that. As it's working ok atm I'll leave it be. If it ain't broke etc!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…