Buffalo External Hard Drive

tony-guitar 00:57 13 Jan 09

Hi, does anyone know of "Buffalo"s reliability? It seems my current external drive is about to give up. Its a Western Digital 'My Book' 320gb and its making odd "clicking noises".Yesterday it disappeared from 'my computer' and i eventually got it working after pulling out all the plugs and re-booting pc. The "Buffalo DriveStation" 500gb looks a good buy from Play.com for £50. Any thoughts please - Tony

MCE2K5 01:07 13 Jan 09

To save me typing twice click here

rob3600 09:42 13 Jan 09

We have a Buffalo and are very pleased with it. Would recommand it.

tony-guitar 11:20 13 Jan 09

Many thanks for your suggestions. The replacement when it happens needs to be USB connected. The other drive i like the look of is the Seagate 250gb FreeAgent GO/2.5, which is tiny by comparison to the others. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this unit/manufacturer. Thanks again - Tony

Bris 19:55 14 Jan 09

There are only 4 HDD manufacturers namely Samsung, Hitachi, Seagate, and Western Digital and whether you buy a Lacie, Iomega, Buffalo or whatever it will contain a drive from one of these 4 manufacturers and all are reputable so I wouldnt worry on that front. The reason why the Seagate drive you mention is small is because it contains a 2.5 inch drive and is specifically designed for people on the move to whom size is important. The mainstream drives are 3.5 inch drives and therefore are larger. Its better to go for a 3.5 inch version unless size matters as they are generally faster. Whichever you choose keep it cool as thats the biggest cause of premature disc death and also dont subject it to knocks especially when its operating.

Hope this helps.

tony-guitar 23:13 14 Jan 09

Hi Bris, thanks for your reply. Most people seem to like the Buffalo unit, but i don't suppose there's any way of knowing which of those 4 manufacturers actually make the HDD for it. However it does seem the Buffalo unit does indeed run very cool, which should aid reliability. I have to say i'm very disappointed with the WD 'My Book' currently in use as its not very old, contains only a few gig of data and is rarely accessed. Thanks again - Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…