Budget PC no idea how to install old BT dialup a/c

Diemmess 15:28 05 Sep 05

A friend who lives a 30mile round trip away seldom takes offered advice and has "done it this time - in spades!"

Bought himself a bundle from PC W and left the shop with a small manual, a lot of boxes and now - disillusionment. (see previous thread) click here

Thanks to help given then and more telephone enquiries from him it seems that he has an opportunity to make his own recovery CDs, (preferably like now!)

PC W managed to sell him some CDRW blanks, while the instruction book says - Do NOT use CDRW or DVDRW blanks!

Meanwhile he is trying to access his BT Openworld a/c and however he tries, he gets the following message [dictated to me over the phone.]

'The host "BTOW" could not be found. Please verify the server name correctly (Account btyahoo!payasyougo) Server BTOW protocol pop 3 port 110 secure (SSL) No S socket error 1101 Error number OX80DCCCOD"

He has no idea at all of what to do, and I confess to spending 9 yrs with net access, always through Aol, which if nothing else makes connection very simple.

Please someone, imagine an almost virgin XP PC, step by step please how would you set up a BT Yahoo pay as you go account?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 05 Sep 05
  Diemmess 17:05 05 Sep 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ but I hope to be able to save a journey by listing 'things to do' so that he has a chance of going online all by himself!

Obviously he won't be able to read from that website until he is online, and I am not sure how to get him far enough into the process to enter his details.

Having looked on Google with "Error OX800CCCOD" it seems either something to do with McAffee or pop3 protocol - whatever that is!

The new PC is trying to get him to install/load Norton, and claims to have a firewall (McAffee?)
I have cautioned him against Norton for the present and he wasn't able to tell me what his firewall is, - yet.

How can I get him to disable any firewall and how should he start to open his old BTOW a/c? Should he click on IE and follow the prompts or what?

woodchip 17:57 05 Sep 05

All He needs is a ISP phone Number and Password. Double click "My Computer" Double click "Dial-Up Networking" Double click "Make New Connection Wizard the first thing that comes up is the box for the BT name He can put what he wants in that box I would suggest BTconnection. after that he need to put is password and phone number in. That should get him on line, the setting E-Mail up he should come back with some more info

Diemmess 18:21 05 Sep 05

Great. Your suggestion is exactly what I was looking for.

If I can pass that by phone, and if Graham can do that, he should be home and dry. Will report on what happens.

woodchip 19:31 05 Sep 05

If he is on XP then he may have to go into Networking in the Control Panel. But the Setup Wizard is the same

Diemmess 18:04 07 Sep 05

Managed to go most of the way to install his old BT Yahoo p a y g a/c and connected, but as soon as Outlook express was icluded the wretched thing dropped out and offered every excuse.

So we loaded Tiscali (pay as you go)........No problems.

Friend in local shop gave his opinion that BT was not very good at cross referencing names and numbers, so that if anything was even slightly adrift it could be a pain finding and correcting the trouble.

A coward's way out but life is short enough. Thank you to everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…