Budget Gaming PC

RJack 13:59 11 Jul 08

Hi all,

I know this subject has been done to death but i'm looking for a Gaming PC that will play all the latest games.

I'm not really in the position to build my own as i have never done this before and i'm worried i might mess it up.

I'm looking for ideas on a good spec for around £500 - £600 as i also have to buy a monitor on top. I am currently looking at the Samsung SM-245B Plus on Overclockers. Is 5ms good or should i be looking at something lower? What effect does this have on gaming?

click here

If i did build my own pc I understand that you can get mobo bundles from Nova Tech. Does these come all ready assembled or do you still need to assemble them? This is the bit that worries me the most if i did go down this route.

In terms of websites i have been told Cyperpower or Mesh Computers do good gaming PC's.

Thanks in advance

RJack 14:18 11 Jul 08

Sorry just to add

I was looking at something similar to this spec

click here

This obviously takes me over my budget & there is no monitor.

citadel 18:51 11 Jul 08

that monitor is excellent, if you want something a bit cheaper samsung 226bw v2. a 22" make sure its the v2 version if you get one. scan.co.uk have them.
for gaming you could pick a system at cyberpower and customise to your butget.
most important to get a good psu enermax, corsair, seasonic, tagan.
an e8400 core 2 duo
4g ram if you get vista
hard drive
p45 motherboard if possible as these are the latest and have pci express 2.
graphics card ati 4850 or 4870 these are cheaper than nvidea and have similar or better performance.

RJack 14:07 15 Jul 08

Thanks for the update

I've had kinda of a re-think & am currently looking at this spec PC as they throw in a monitor with

click here

Am i still better off getting a custom one and buying the Samsung SM-245B or will the monitor that comes with is package be sufficient.

With the luxury of not having to buy a monitor i can spend a bit more on PC. Should i be looking at a better monitor?

What do you think of this spec PC is it good enough or could i get better for the price?

Thanks again

Ditch999 16:00 15 Jul 08

Thought the budget was £5-600? Not £1000!!!
Dont go for DDR3 - not worth it.
Change from a quad core to a C2D E8400 and I would be inclined to get a better PSU.
The monitor is what you stare at the whole time - a bad one will take away from a good PC.

citadel 17:34 15 Jul 08

i would change the 3870 for a 4850
call of duty 3870 39fps 4850 66fps
crysis 3870 22fps 4850 29fps
same for other games 4850 wins.

RJack 12:59 17 Jul 08

Thanks for the great advice,

I picked and chosen but still can't seem to get price down.

Things i'm not sure about

Mobo should this be crossfire or SLI i don't really know the difference or what is best.

Can you recommend one of the boards on this list?

Should i have an extra case fan?

Should i take overclocking service?

Is my choice of Cooling Fan & PSU ok?

Is it better to pay extra to get heat spreader on memory?

What is the difference between Samsung SM226BW 22" 2ms Wide TFT LCD Display Monitor & the V2 one?

Sorry for all the questions. All together i have a budget of £850 including monitor. If i get monitor seperate i need about £650 - £700 for PC & £200 for Monitor

Thanks again

RJack 12:59 17 Jul 08
  RJack 13:13 17 Jul 08

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer 420W Case with Side Window()[+40]

PSU - 625 Watts Power Supplies(Enermax Pro 82+ 625Watt Power Supply (84 - 88% Efficiency))[+76]

CPU - (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 ***Overclockable XXX*** Cache 64-bit()[+29]

Overclocking service - Ye or No?

Cooling Fan - ASUS Silent Knight II CPU Cooler ***Overclockable XXX Dual & AM2; S&S Quads***()[+34]

MOBO - not sure about this selection Crossfire or SLI? what would be a good choice from their selection of P45 PCI Express 2?

Memory - Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory. Should i pay the extra for heat spreader?

GFX Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E x16 512MB Video Card()[+90]

Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD[+22]

Monitor: Samsung SM226BW 22" 2ms Wide TFT LCD Display Monitor()[+195]. What is difference between V1 & V2 should i buy V2 elsewhere?

Being as i have a budget for £650 - £700 with out Monitor or £850 - £900 with monitor should i buy this elsewhere?

Should i get a soundcard or make do with Mobo one?

Can you recoomend speakers within my budget?

Thanks again

Ditch999 15:14 17 Jul 08

PSU= Hiper 630W crossfire ready

Overclocking= No

Cooling fan= Thermaltake blue Orb would suffice

MOBO= If you are going ATI then it has to be Crossfire and there is only one P45 one, the Asus P5Q Pro. (SLI is for Nvidia cards only.)

Memory= Heat spreader not required

Monitor= citadel recommends the v2 one

Soundcard= onboard would do to start with, but a dedicated one like a Creative Audigy

Speakers? 2.0, 2.2, 5.1 or 7.1?

RJack 17:54 17 Jul 08

Many thanks for all the info :) i have now finished building my PC with Cyberpower & have orderet the V2 monitor from Scan.co.uk

One last question. Is there much difference in performance ATI vs NVidia wise? If a year down the line i decide to change to an NVidia GFX card would this mean it would not be compatible with a Crossfire Mobo?

C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…