Budget £1000 for video editing PC ++ laptop???

buzan 14:26 03 Jan 06

Hello all,I have a budget of £1000 and was wondering if it is possible to get a PC as well as a laptop both capable of editing home video on a small scale.I could use my existing monitor and speakers(green/red connectors) if still compatable.Thank you for any help.

Diodorus Siculus 14:56 03 Jan 06

Your speakers will be fine; so too your monitor - that's the good news.

Not so good will be the chances of getting both a PC and laptop for the price.

For about £600 you will get a good PC with plenty of RAM and storage space and a fast processor. Together they will get you going for video editing.

The laptop is where it all falls down - a capable video editor will cost most of your budget.

A compromise might be to get an external hard drive which can save some of your data and share it between the PC and notebook.

Having said that, there are some smart forum users out there who may well come up with the goods :-)

ade.h 19:30 03 Jan 06

Not a chance, to be blunt. I would stick to buying a good desktop for about £800 or so and save the remainder of your budget for some useful accessories. The amount of additional hardware and software that gets purchased soon mounts up, I find!

Though with the way prices drop, wait a few months...

Slithe 20:36 03 Jan 06

As has been stated above. You won't get a laptop in a budget catergory to do what you want with that and a cheaper desktop would struggle with it.

ade.h is right - use the extra cash on the desktop and get something top of the range and forget the laptop.

De Marcus™ 23:50 03 Jan 06

You can do what you want with the money you have, but neither machine will be top flight. I'd be inclined for that money to purchase a performance laptop, seeing as your video editing needs are only slight, and don't be inclined to think that a laptop isn't up to the job in the same way a pc is, it is for your needs.

buzan 08:46 04 Jan 06

Thank you all for your input.As I only really get time to do video editing when mobile I might opt for the performance laptop and maybe a tower from novatech.Any recommendations?I read that Comet were doing a decent£699 machine.Thanks again.

Diodorus Siculus 08:52 04 Jan 06

If it's a laptop you want, get a good one along with a decent external hard drive and a good monitor. You should get all that within your budget.

buzan 20:29 04 Jan 06

excellent.I had a look in comet and they had an acer aspire 1691 512ram,80gb for £599 so i might get this as I read a good review,unless of course anyone has any better suggestions.What would be considered a decent external hard drive?

De Marcus™ 20:52 04 Jan 06

Are you sticking to a £600 budget for a laptop or is £1000 still available for both a laptop and hard drive? Or are you buying both (desktop & laptop)?

ade.h 21:02 04 Jan 06

Yeah, don't buy an Acer? Not the best made laptops I have ever handled, and if it goes wrong Acer will not give you the kind of service that IBM/Lenovo, Sony or HP will give you. Not that I would recommend Lenovo, because many of its specs are over-priced for some unknown reason. Lenovo's nearest match to my £900 HP is £200 more, though that seems to be worse than average. HP and the more conventional Sonys - not the ultra-portables - are very good value. Generally better than the equivalent Dells for example. I spent two months reserching the whole laptop market in depth before replacing my previous Toshiba. Which is another brand that you really should look at. Oh, and pick up a copy of PC Pro; it has a very informative customer stisfaction survey this month.

De Marcus™ 21:12 04 Jan 06

Acer not the best made laptops? Maybe not but they are far from being the worst, toshiba in my opinion taking that spot, but that's all it is, my opinion. Laptops are individual and so are people's experiences of a particular company, unless you get a hoard of people saying "DON'T BUY XXXX BRAND!" you'll never know for yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…