bubble jet or ink jet printer

Rocker 17:42 10 May 03

hi im geting a new printer whats the best for photos bubble jet or ink jet.the printer i have at the mo is a epson stylus 460 its no good for photos to old i think.thanks

-pops- 17:46 10 May 03

They're both the same beast. Bubble jet is Canon's name for inkjet.

Legolas 17:56 10 May 03

Sorry if I am being pedantic but there is a slight difference, bubble-jet printers use special heating elements to prepare the ink whereas ink-jet printers uses piezoelectric crystals.
As to the suitability of one over the other for printing photos I would not imagine that there was much difference but not knowing much about it I am open to correction.

jazzypop 18:06 10 May 03

The two technologies both claim to be superior to the other.

One passes a current across a resistor to create a rise in temperature, that heats the ink (in a very thin tube), so that a bubble is formed at the end of the tube, which drops onto the paper as a droplet of ink.

The other passes a current through a piezoelectric crystal, which deforms, exerts pressure on a very thin tube of ink, and squeezes a droplet onto the paper.

I have never seen a noticeable difference in the final print that was attributable to either technology.

I suggest you worry about initial purchase cost, running cost (pence-per-page), cost of replacement cartridges, print speed, connection method (parallel, USB, network), resolution, noise, warranty, and the space it will take up on your desk.

All of these are far more important than inkjet / bubblejet.

-pops- 18:07 10 May 03

click here click here

Hewlett Packard use heating elements and term their printers ink jet.

I do confess it is pedantism and I don't think you will find much difference in commercial products.

For help in the other part of your question, Rocker, I use an Epson C80 (now superseded by the C82) for my photo type printing. No complaints about it at all.

Brian

DieSse 18:12 10 May 03

To be even more pedantic :-))) - they're all inkjet printers - "bubble jet" is a Canon trademark for their brand of heating element technology - HP also use the same technology (but can't call them "bubble jet"). Epson use piezoelectric crystal technology. Both are simply a means of producing a droplet of ink that's fired at the paper (hence the inkjet appellation).

These are all a class of inkjet printers called "drop-on-demand", which produce each droplet of ink as required.

An older technology (don't know if anyone still uses it), was called "continous drop" - this uses a pump to produce a continuous stream, or jet, of ink - this is either allowed to reach the paper, or deflected away into tray typically by an electrostatic charge mechanism, from where it's fed back into the ink container.

The very first inkjet printer (black only)I saw, around 30 years ago, made by A.B.Dick, was a continuous stream type - I was truly amazed by it at the time! It had an ink bottle which must have held at least a litre of ink, and presumably would have lasted almost for ever!

Legolas 18:19 10 May 03

I have now learned more about inkjet/bubblejet printer technology in this thread than I ever knew or perhaps wanted to know lol

-pops- 18:22 10 May 03

What printer would you suggest as suitable for Rocker? (the other part of his question);-))

Brian

jazzypop 18:29 10 May 03

Can't help much with that one, I'm afraid. I run a Samsung laser for day-to-day printing, and an HP880C inkjet for the kids (no longer a current model).

I would go to one of the many comparative review sites (such as cnet.com, or one of the ziff-davies sites) for a recent review.

WIthout knowing more about his specific criteria (cost, speed, quality, voluume, etc), it is hard to give specific advice :)

DieSse 18:40 10 May 03

Got carried away a bit there!!!

The HP 5550 get's good write ups - and I'm a comitted HP fan due to the number of Epson's I've seen junked with unblockable print heads.

Spencus 18:45 10 May 03

What price range are you considering,at the moment it seems the less you pay for the printer the higher the running cost

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now