BT/Yahoo mail notifier problem

mooly 08:29 01 Jun 09

Use BT/Yahoo mail (new version, not classic) and can not get new mail notifier to work. The "mail" tab on the Yahoo toolbar used to show new mail and the number unread but not recently. Have the latest Yahoo software, and an application appeared in "Programs and features" called Yahoo mail advisor.
Contacted BT who set up an interactive session where they could view my screen. Spent over an hour on that and no joy.
In the end they said it was a problem with Yahoo and to "write" to them. Contacted them by email and was promised response in 24 hours... still waiting, they just resend the "in 24hrs" for a day or two then nothing.

Technotiger 08:37 01 Jun 09

Try a System Restore back to when it worked the way you like it.

mooly 12:31 01 Jun 09

Oh OK then... er problemo, don't have restore points enabled... don't ask, another story, never found the answer to that one.
Yahoo mail apparently undergoing a lot of changes. The only reason I kept the Yahoo toolbar was for the notifier.
All this has really started from IE8, not blaming that itself, just that so much stuff seems to have been altered since. I'll keep digging.
Thanks

Sea Urchin 12:44 01 Jun 09

It seems that the Yahoo Toolbar is not compatible with IE8 yet, but according to this you can run it using compatibility mode

click here

Sea Urchin 12:46 01 Jun 09

Although according to this there is a Yahoo compatible version of IE8

click here

mooly 12:58 01 Jun 09

Before IE8 appeared on Windows update I tried the Yahoo one as it kept appearing as an upgrade on the toolbar. Just couldn't get it to install. Tried the MS version and that was the same, loads of problems. When it appeared on Windows update it installed in minutes perfectly.
Just tried your link, it say's I already have IE8 ( I do ! ) but found something else. A new (still in beta) Yahoo toolbar. Maybe that's something to do with it all.
What I really want is a notifier that sits in the system tray and doesn't need a toolbar.

Cymro. 13:07 01 Jun 09

I don`t know about the IE8 version that Sea Urchin suggests above, but I downloaded a version of IE8 directly from the BT Website and could do nothing with it.

Their Help Line told me to re-download it from the Microsoft site. I did this and ticked it in the compatibility view and it now works alright.

As for a mail notifier I use a free program called ePrompter. I don`t have a link to download it but I dare say you can find it on Google or one of the popular free download sites.

Cymro. 13:12 01 Jun 09

This is the site of the E mail notifier that I have now used for years. It does exactly what you want
"What I really want is a notifier that sits in the system tray and doesn't need a toolbar"
click here

I did find it a little fiddly to set up, but once you have the right settings it is a very good little program and does just what is needed.

mooly 13:57 01 Jun 09

Thanks Cymro I'll have a look into that.
I have just found that clicking "new mail" on the Yahoo email page changes the heading in the tab on IE8 to "Y! (0 unread) BTYa..) and the 0 does update as mail arrives as long as you keep that tab open... not the answer is it ! to messy.
Will try and find out more about just what this "Yahoo mail advisor" is that installed itself with the latest version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017