BTOpenworld Broadband sharing

Paranoid Android 20:01 16 Sep 04

Hi guys,

It's really great to be back - I'm feeling a lot more positive these days. Broadband has finally arrived in my backwater !!

Any reason why I can't share a BT Openworld broadband connection (standard USB modem) across 3 machines with a proxy server ?

Host machine XP, others Win2K, Proxy+

Cheers

Marv.

igk 20:27 16 Sep 04

I take it you already network you 3 pc's if that is correct all you need to do is get a router (not just the usb modem although it can be done but not as easy)I use the BT voyager 200 router it was only £20 extra when I ordered my BTbroadband online (works a treat)but you can get a reasonably priced one (new)on say Ebay(£60 appx),don't forget you will need antivirus on all pc's and I would urge you to have a good firewall (I use zone alarm free version)again on all pc's (routers come with a firewall but in my opinion the settings are "All or Nothing" (don't trust the built in firewall that comes with Winxp as it does not stop nasties "phoning home" if they are already on the pc's.Hope this helps.

Paranoid Android 20:34 16 Sep 04

Thanks for that. I know I can do it with a broadband router, but since I already have a proxy server installed for my shared internet and mailboxes I was hoping to use that to define the gateway and save some cost.

Can anybody tell me if this would cause a problem ?

(My activation date is still 2 weeks away so I can't play with it yet.)

Marv.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…