BTcustomer told that Vista won't work with dial-up

wrinklysteve 15:02 26 Aug 07

A friend who has been unable to access his dial-up account with a new Vista PC has just been told by a BT phone help that Vista won't work with dial-up. It worked for a week after I set it up for him, then failed. He is rural in Lincolnshire and BT claim his line is sound. Any comments, please?

Jimmy14 15:05 26 Aug 07

I used Tiscali dial up on Vista for a while, all I done was install the modem even though it was the xp drivers and just went to "Connect to" and dialed the modem. It worked fine.

Belatucadrus 15:25 26 Aug 07

If the modem has Vista drivers, it should work. It's the usual problem with IP call centre help staff, they look at the on-screen check list, if it isn't there then it must be impossible. Problem solved and they don't look any further, which as you've found out is no help at all.

spuds 17:31 26 Aug 07

If it worked for a week after you had previously set it up, then there should be no reason why it will not work now. BT are not being helpful, get back in touch with them, and inform them that you had it working previously.

wrinklysteve 17:55 26 Aug 07

Thanks, gents. The PC was a 'cheap' offer from PC World, came without an internal modem so he's been using (on his previous PC also) an external modem via the serial port - no probs for ages. Ran on Vista for a week, then he had the popup saga, then the Intelligent Landing Page saga, then unable to connect to anything, even when he re setup his old PC. My opinion is that BT won't admit to local line failings and simply want to sell him broadband. No wonder they came so low in the Which report on ISPs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…