BT/Comms experts: Question Re. B.Band

AngeTheHippy 12:16 18 Apr 05

Morning Chaps,
We moved to Lincolnshire (quite rural)in Feb this year. When I typed my postcode on the BT site to ascertain whether I would be able to receive broadband internet, the answer was something like: It's highly unlikely as you are too far from the exchange...' So, when I've spoken to BT on the phone, they say they cannot provide broadband internet. How is it then, that my provider from the other house, Eclipse Internet, ARE able to provide BB? They are of course, using the BT line! I do get quite a few outages though, when I apparently don't get a signal - bally annoying. Eclipse are certainly NOT the cheapest provider so if this pattern of sometimes not getting a signal be an ongoing thing, wouldn't it be better to find a cheaper provider? Would they be able to 'provide' at this address too?

2neat 12:54 18 Apr 05

if BT can't provide BB and no cable available then you are stuffed! unless you can afford other methods.
Enjoy being a 56kr ;-)

AngeTheHippy 12:58 18 Apr 05

Ummm.... perhaps I didn't make my thread clear enough - I CAN get 512 BB - NOT from BT Internet, but from Eclipse.. Anyway, my thread was addressed to BT/Comms experts...note EXPERTS... 8D

Yoda Knight 13:14 18 Apr 05

Interesting scenario...

Maybe Eclipse is willing to try and provide it, knowing that there may be outages due to your location. BT on the other hand may think its easier just to say NO, than have to deal with complaints about service later on.

AngeTheHippy 13:24 18 Apr 05

Yes - I think we're thinking the same here - Eclipse is more expensive than lots of other providers of 512, and when I lived in London gave excellent service, but if these outages are an indication of future probs, then I may as well find a cheaper provider! I WAS told though, that BT are meant to be starting trials on something called ADSL2 this summer - d'ya know what that's all about?

Chegs ® 13:34 18 Apr 05

I would stay with Eclipse(I was with them,they're very good)If you contact them and explain your problem,they will offer advice(either its caused by your location and nothing can be done,or Eclipse will test/check your line and report their findings to you)

Graham ® 15:16 18 Apr 05

Assuming you know all the pitfalls of USB modems, I would second Chegs ® advice to contact Eclipse. They can ask BT to check the signal to noise ratio on your line to see if it is borderline/acceptable.

Indigo 1 15:26 18 Apr 05

I trust you have looked at sites like this click here to see when/if BB will be made available in your area.

Before it was available in my area there was a minimum requirement of requests before BT would even look into it but one community minded person decided to do a leaflet drop and gather his own list of names to add to the BT list, which speeded things along.

Indigo 1 15:28 18 Apr 05

Sorry you need to look in the left hand column and click on Demand Tracker Data.

Noelg23 15:39 18 Apr 05

everyone so far has given good advice Ange...but if all else fails there is Satellite Broadband and dont think its pricey cos its not really...go to click here and have a look at their prices for Satellite broadband...this could be your only hope otherwise slug it out with Eclipse if u want to keep having all the troubles you know your gonna get...

AngeTheHippy 20:04 18 Apr 05

I think I'll stick with Eclipse for the time being - annoying as it is that **exactly** when I NEED to go online the bally signal seems to be down, I've no real choice. I agree though, noelg23, satellite isn't THAT expensive - but I don't work so, it is for me. Will stick with E and **hope** BT can make things better in the coming months..

cheers all,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…