btbroadband and MS outlook

morris948 21:09 14 Dec 04

Hi
Does anyone know how to configure microsoft outlook to recieve and send emails from bt broadband basic.
Outlook wants POP3 and SMTP details which i dont know what they are, i have setup an email from btinternet.com, how do i get outlook to send and recieve from this using the broadband modem?.
I dont want to pay for a broadband connection and a 56 K modem connection just to use emails with outlook.

Alex-188000 21:14 14 Dec 04

Go on to BT Yahoo!'s help page and under topics click webmail. It should be there on how to help you set it up through OE.

Jeffers22 21:19 14 Dec 04

If you are using the same ISP the settings should not be any different. They aren't for my Virgin ADSL account.

Were you using Outlook with your dial up account? You should have an email account set up already if you were. Tools > E-mail Accounts > check existing or add new depending on your situation. POP addresss is likely to be pop.btinternet.com and SMTP address is likely to be SMTP.btinternet.com If in doubt check the btinternet.com site for the precise settings - they will be available somewhere within the customer area.

morris948 21:22 14 Dec 04

Yes. i saw this help topic on this site and it said fill in the pop3 and smtp server information!

Well !! what information do i put in these fields? i dont know the pop3 or smtp information for btinternet.com can anyone suggest what i type in these required fields?

for example my old freeserve ISP uses 'pop.freeserve.net' and 'smtp.freeserve.net'

So what to i type in the MS outlook fields for BTbroadband basic?

morris948 21:24 14 Dec 04

i saw your thread appeared after i replied

Rioja 21:34 14 Dec 04

morris948,

the pop3 and smtp settings should both be mail.btinternet.com

This assumes you have an email address of eg. morris@btinternet.com or morris@btopenworld.com

Remember, this is nothing to do with BT Broadband Basic as the email provider is BTOpenworld - BT Broadband Basic does not provide an email server.

morris948 21:55 14 Dec 04

Thanks,
Just to clarify, i have setup a free email account with btinternet.com that is working when i am connected to the internet.

i have configured the outlook settings to connect to the broadband modem to send/recieve from this account using the pop and smtp suggested.
is that how it works?
i will test it tomorrow.

Rioja 22:13 14 Dec 04

morris948,

remember to enable Authentication for the outgoing mail server using the same email account name and password as for the incoming server.

Regards,

Rioja

morris948 14:35 15 Dec 04

I have got Outlook working with broadband now, many thanks for pointing me in the right directions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…