BT voyager2091 with a Belkin print server

Thomsk 20:47 11 Mar 06

I have a BT Voyager 2091 router and an Epson Stylus DX4850 printer. I was advised to purchase a print server in order to be able to print from my laptop wirelessly. I purchased a Belkin wireless G USB Print server, but am having difficulty. I can print if I connect my print server to my router via an ethernet cable, but cannot seem to do so wirelessly. I am thinking that maybe it had something to do with the fact that the set up wizard for the Print server wanted a 26 character 128-bit security code, but my voyager router only has a 13 character one?

I posted on the beginners forum, but haven't had any joy - maybe someone here might be able to help?

Any ideas (put forward slowly for this complete fool) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mgmcc 21:15 12 Mar 06

I use a "Wired" Print Server, so i may be talking complete rubbish, but it seems to me that the purpose of a Wireless Print Server is to print directly from a PC with a Wireless Network Adapter installed - bear with me.

Think of the Wireless Network Adapter as a "sending" device and the Wireless Print Server as the "receiving" device. Now the problem is that your Router is also a "receiving" device and the PC's Wireless Network Adapter is "Connected" to that, not the Print Server. The Wireless Router and Wireless Print Server are both intended to communicate with a Wireless Network Adapter (i.e. they are both Wireless Access Points) and so they cannot talk directly to one another.

As I see it, a "Wireless" Print Server is only used where there isn't already a "Wireless" router involved to provide the wireless link to the PC.

mgmcc 21:21 12 Mar 06

Actually, if I'm correct in my assumption, you should still be able to configure the PC's Wireless Network Adapter so that it can connect directly to the Print Server instead of the Router. You then have two "Available Wireless Networks" to chose from depending on whether you want internet access or printer access. Don't know how you print web pages wirelessly though ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…