BT Voyager 22100 wireless network security

Micromagic 21:38 29 Dec 06

I have BT voyager 22100 wireless router and it is
working fine.
Can anyone help to make it secure network so that
hacknig from the outside the house would be impossicle?

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:55 29 Dec 06

Is this the 2100 or the 2110 we are talking about?

Micromagic 22:03 29 Dec 06

It is BT Voyager 2100 and it is wireless ADSL router.

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:14 29 Dec 06

OK go to 192.168.1.1 and choose advanced/wireless/encryption. Choose WPA-PSK and insert a string of your choosing (I use 2 National Insurance numbers back to back) click apply. You must write down your key as you will have to enter it on any computer you want to connect to your router. Thats it.

Micromagic 22:35 29 Dec 06

Thank you very much for your help Hertz Van Rentyl.
Incidentally, how secure it is from now on?
Is there a need to have any additional software?

Thanks again.

Mad Mick 23:12 29 Dec 06

I change my my key every month for peace of mind.
It is prudent to hide your SSID after you have set up all the computers that will be using the modem/router.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:17 29 Dec 06

It should be secure enough for a home network, you can change the key anytime you want and also the administrator password as it is admin/admin as default. Would suggest you make it admin/ your own password, as in the unlikely event of someone gaining access to your network they could mess with your settings. As I have said this is very unlikely as you have now encrypted your network.

Micromagic 18:27 04 Jan 07

Hello Hertz Van Rentyl.
A friend of mine has BT Voyager 2110

Can you please take the trouble telling us
how to encrypt this router like the router
Thanks a million for the touter 2100.

Micromagic 18:30 04 Jan 07

Hi Mad Mick what is SSID in relation BT Voyager 2110 and how one uses SSID ?

Mad Mick 18:45 04 Jan 07

SSID stands for Service Set Identifier. An SSID is the public name of a wireless network. All of the wireless devices on a WLAN must employ the same SSID in order to communicate with each other.

Wireless access points and routers ship with a default network name (SSID) set by the manufacturer. Change this name to improve the security of your home network.

Mad Mick 18:57 04 Jan 07

Hide Wireless Network
The Voyager Router provides an option to hide the broadcast of the wireless network name (SSID). This offers an added level of protection, similar to a password, to prevent unwanted connection. Other users will not be able to connect to your base station without knowing the name of your wireless network.

This option is recommended as the most basic security measure to prevent unwanted connection to your wireless network. Note that hiding your SSID will not prevent computers which were connected BEFORE the change from connecting to the network. To stop such computers connecting, you should also change the SSID (see below).

Wireless Network Name (SSID)
This is the name that is transmitted to identify your wireless network. You can change this to anything you want or leave it unchanged. If there are other wireless networks operating in your area make sure that your SSID is unique (does not match any other wireless network in your area). The default SSID of your Voyager 2100 is BTVOYAGER2100-xx where 'xx' are the last 2 digits of the BSSID number printed on the label underneath the Voyager 2100.

Channel
Wireless networks operate in the 2.4GHz frequency band where 13 channels are available. Devices must operate on the same channel to be able to communicate. The base station controls the channel allocation. For best operation you should select a channel at least five away from any other wireless networks operating in your area.

Change the channel if you are experiencing interference from a neighbouring network or device such as a wireless video transmitter. You can also consider changing the channel used by the other device if it offers a selection of channels.

Transmission Mode
By default, your Voyager 2100 will accept connection from both 802.11g and 802.11b wireless computers ('Auto' mode). You may choose to allow access to your wireless network by computers using '802.11b only' or '802.11g only' depending on the type of wireless adapters you own. If you only own 802.11g wireless adapters, then setting the mode to '802.11g only' might result in a slight performance improvement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos