BT voyager 220v and hub

john63 13:24 29 Dec 05

I have a BT Voyager 220V ADSL modem. It has an ethernet port. It is currently connected to computer 1 (via usb) and then computer 2 connects via internet connection sharing. I have bought a network hub and I plan to plug this in to the ethernet port on the modem and then connect all of the other computers seperately. Will this work, or do I need a modem/router?

mgmcc 14:06 29 Dec 05

<<< Will this work, >>>

No.

<<< or do I need a modem/router? >>>

Yes.

The problem is that the ISP only allocates one IP address and every computer on the internet needs to have a unique IP address. Doing what you suggest means that only the first PC to connect will get the single IP address and have internet access.

When you install a router, the router gets the single IP address from the ISP and it in turn allocates individual IP addresses to the networked computers using one of the address ranges reserved for use with Local Area Networks, most commonly one of the 192.168.x.x subnets. The router then "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the LAN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…