BT Voyager 205 router DSL light flickers

James-299039 22:19 18 Oct 07

I have been using BT Together Option 1 Broadband since January 2006 with no real problems.

I have a wired BT Voyager 205 router and a USB connection (a computer engineer who set up my computer and Broadband connection at the outset could not get the ethernet connection to work).

During the past two weeks the DSL light on the 205 router flickers and sometimes goes out for a few seconds leading to loss of Internet connection.

It is spasmodic, sometimes recurring frequently in a short period of a few minutes, and at other times behaving itself for, say, up to an hour.

I have recently upgraded to BT Talk and have been sent a new BT Voyager 220V wired router that I have not yet fixed up.

The blurb with my Voyager 205 says it is compatible with up to a download speed of 8Mb, and my new Talk contract is only offering up to 4.5Mb, so presumably the line upgrade should not affect the Voyager 205.

I have checked the connections and cannot find any obvious problem there.

I am not technically-minded and worry about having to replace the 205 router with the 220 (the BT Talk facility and potential increased download speed do not really interest me - I merely accepted the new contract which Talk came with because it featured a £3 per month reduction).

Can anyone suggest what I should look for to try to deal with the flickering DSL light on the 205 router? Many thanks.

eedcam 22:48 18 Oct 07

Try powering down the router for a short period you could also try another Filter .Meanwhile contact your provider and tell them to check the connection .My provider runs a connection check and reports back what it finds I expect yours does the same. Yuo might also look here click here

woodchip 22:48 18 Oct 07

Sounds like its a faulty modem. Why do you not set the new one up?

woodchip 22:50 18 Oct 07

PS it could also be a faulty connection on one of the wired plugs to the modem

James-299039 13:41 19 Oct 07

Many thanks. I will try the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5