BT Voyager 205 with Peak router - problems...

Sample 18:05 13 Mar 05

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help, or at least point me to a guide, for setting up my BT modem and router, to provide two Pcs and a Mac iBook with an internet and network share.
I am an experienced PC user (though not too hot on networking) and have succesfully set up the same type of thing before, but I'm baffled by this.
When I had just got the BT modem, I connected one of the PCs via USB and the Mac with RJ45.
This worked fine, except
1) When both the Mac and PC were simulataneously using the connection, they would 'steal' bandwidth from eachother, meaning one computer might hog all the bandwidth, depending on who started their download/p2p app etc., first.
I understood that a router would share the bandwidth equally and solve this problem.

2) Of course, I wanted to connect the 2nd PC too.

So I bought the Peak router, but can only get it to work as a network hub for PC to PC sharing.
When I ran the wizard from the provided CD, it would recognise that there was a modem attached to the WAN port, but in the end couldn't connect to the internet.
I've tried trawling the internet for answers, but haven't hit an article specific enough to help me.
I have also tried various IP configurations etc.
Both routers are (now) on factory default settings.
I realise there are lots of other things one might need to know before helping, so I will provide info as necessary.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

spikeychris 18:20 13 Mar 05

"Both routers are (now) on factory default settings". Both routers??

Sample 18:44 13 Mar 05

I should have said modem and router...althought the BT Voyager <i>is<i> a router.

spikeychris 19:12 13 Mar 05

What operating systems are the PC's running?

spikeychris 19:26 13 Mar 05

Cross-Platform Networking has its problems but click here and have a read. click here also

Sample 20:46 13 Mar 05

XP Pro SP2 on both.

Sample 20:49 13 Mar 05

Also thanks for the links. I haven't tried PC to Mac yet so they will be very useful.
I would say, though, that file sharing with the Mac is probably lowest on the list of priorities.
Like I say, computer to computer networking I can do, I just can't get the modem to connect to the internet via the router.

Rioja 23:20 13 Mar 05

Have a study of my diagrams here click here . They should giv you some ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…