BT Voyager 105 USB Modem & AOL Question

Giggle n' Bits 00:56 20 Jan 05

Can someone tell me with using AOL Broadband, do you have to use the supplied BT Voyager 150 USB Modem they supply of could I invest in a better quality USB Broadband modem of my own choice ?

Reason I ask is apparently the modem is in use with a Laptop and apparently also AOL & BT say the reason the Modem dies when entering the Desktop in XP on the Laptop is because the USB Host Power is just not powerfull enough and falls asleep and lights goe out.

So have been advised to get a powered USB Broadband modem.

Smegs 01:15 20 Jan 05

I would say, that you can use an modem with broadband.

But please wait for someone to confirm this.

Giggle n' Bits 01:33 20 Jan 05

Will wait for a confirmation.
I don't really see it being a problem to use a different modem as AOL settings lets you choose the modem. But again, confirmation please.

feb 08:20 20 Jan 05

I thought the 105 was a powered USB Broadband modem, or do you mean a powered usb hub to plug the modem into?

Diemmess 08:46 20 Jan 05

I use Aol with the BT 105 Voyager. This occupies one of the two original USB 1 ports on this computer.

It worked straight from the box, and presumably finds sufficient current available from this port.

I am sure you don't have to use the supplied modem, but I am also pretty sure that any alternative brand would be just as current dependant.

Giggle n' Bits 11:45 20 Jan 05

modem. Apparently I have been told that the problem my friend has is that when starting/booting into WinXP the Modem flashes a green light then it goes out and modem is powered off.

So I have been asked to get a USB Modem that has its own Power supply and not take its power from the USB Cable because the Laptop is not giving enough power to keep the modem alive.

Both AOL & BT have said this and also the BT Suck.org I remember reading this.

Diemmess 11:59 20 Jan 05

Sorry I missed the important link between a laptop which must by reason of battery economy be marginal on available power, and any modem which doesn't have its own power supply.

I-W 12:04 20 Jan 05

I'v been in contact with AOL over the issue of modems in the past. As far as I know you can use any broadband modem but if you have any problems with the AOL service while using a different modem they will not help you.

Giggle n' Bits 12:50 20 Jan 05

I carn't really see any other way to solve the problem but friend is still waiting for BT Engineer to call. On Dial up the Data Kbps drops to nil intermitantly. I am convinced there is a line fault but On a standby to go and get a USB Modem powered with its own A/c Power.

dogtrack 16:26 20 Jan 05

Right click MY COMPUTER select PROPERTIES select HARDWARE select DEVICE MANAGER. Scroll down to USB SERIAL BUS CONTROLLER. Click on the + sign to its left. You should now see one or more items called USB ROOT HUB. Right click on each of these in turn and select PROPERTIES. Click on the POWER MANAGEMENT tab, now UNCHECK the box which says "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power". Click Ok and close. See if that solves the shutdown problem, then you wont need to lay out any cash!

Chezdez 16:34 20 Jan 05

yes, any ADSL modem will work, so long as put the seetings in correctly :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…