bt voyager 105 modem to a wireless router help

sabbath97 23:17 07 Oct 06

HI ALL, IVE BOUGHT A LINKSYS 4-PORT WIRELESS ROUTER OF EBAY BUT HAVE FOUND IM UNABLE TO CONNECT IT TO MY BT VOYAGER 105 USB ADSL MODEM CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME WHAT I CAN DO TO GET AROUND THIS PROBLEM OR DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY MODEM.

mgmcc 07:51 08 Oct 06

For ADSL broadband, you require a *COMBINED* Router & ADSL Modem which replaces the USB Modem. If you have bought a "Cable/DSL" router, it is suitable for Cable broadband (NTL/Telewest), where the supplied Cable Modem supports an ethernet connection.

The reference to DSL is misleading because they can be used with a separate DSL modem in countries whose DSL uses PPPoE protocol (PPP over Ethernet). Unfortunately, ADSL in the UK uses PPPoA protocol (PPP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode) which stand-alone routers don't support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…