BT Voyager 100 modem driver update won't install

stlucia 12:34 11 Dec 05

I recently had to format my HDD (another story) and reinstall Win XP and all my software. I reinstalled AOL using my original broadband CD, and when I connected AOL welcome page displayed a warning that I'm restricted to 128kb (my service should be 1Mb) because my modem drivers are out of date. I followed the link to get the driver update file, and downloaded it okay. It's a file called V100oEv1.0.exe.

When I run the file, it automatically unzips, automatically starts running, uninstalls my old modem drivers, reboots my PC and starts installing the new drivers. It then hangs with a Runtime Error message while trying to run programme GsiInst.exe and, when I click on OK, reboots my PC.

On restart, the installation program tries to start where it left off, but immediately hangs with the same error message. The only way I can get out of the viscious circle is to Ctrl-Alt-Del to stop the program, and then untick if from my startup programs to stop it happening again.

I've been onto AOL interactive help, and their phone line, but their suggestions of manually uninstalling the old drivers, re-loading the file from their site, and running it in safe mode, both make no difference.

I can, without any problem, reinstall the old drivers using my original BB setup CD but, of course, I'm restricted to 128kb (which is how I'm on-line now). Any ideas why I can't install the drivers update, please?

Stuartli 12:51 11 Dec 05
  Stuartli 12:59 11 Dec 05

Just in case you are puzzled about the slight change of .exe listed, here's the original link to above:

click here

stlucia 13:17 11 Dec 05

Sorry, Stuartli, I'm not sure what this link does: It lists 99 pages, and each page gives me a long list of applications which it has coded as Y, N, U, X, or ?, but I can't see what I'm supposed to do with them, or how they relate to my modem drivers not installing. Some of the applications are things I've never had on my PC, such as Acronis True Image.

I have an up-to-date AVG running, and regularly update and run Spybot S&D, AdAware, Spywareblaster, and just recently, MS Antispyware.

CurlyWhirly 13:40 11 Dec 05

I used to have intermittent connection problems until I went to AOL keyword 'broadband drivers' and downloaded new drivers called 'V100 AOL PPPoE' as shown at click here

These drivers are dated 28/4/2003 and are driver version 1.4.0.2 and since using them, I *don't* even get connection problems if my modem's DSL light goes off (i.e I lose the connection) as my internet connection just 'freezes' until my modem syncs with the exchange again.

I then just carry on where I left off.

I don't know if there are any newer drivers out now but I am happy as I am as my connection is stable as it is!

woodchip 14:06 11 Dec 05

Let it run but try starting in safe mode by keep pressing F5

mattyc_92 14:13 11 Dec 05

I am also on AOL, but I haven't bothered installing this update. I don't even bother with the AOL software at all. I am on a 1meg connection, and I get the FULL speed for this connection without any additional software, drivers, etc... All I use is IE and FireFox.....

Stuartli 14:24 11 Dec 05

Use the second link and scroll down until you find the information about this .exe file and Voyager modems..:-)

stlucia 20:04 11 Dec 05

Woodchip, I've tried safe mode and it terminates with the same error message.

CurlyWhirly, I can't connect to the link you've given, and the AOL keyword Broadband Drivers page only gives a zipped file named "v100oE v1.0.exe". I don't know what it unzips into, but whatever it is it's not installing properly on my PC.

Stuartli, I can't find anything about Voyager or V100 in the list manually or by doing a search. I seem to be missing the point somewhere.

And I've been thinking again this afternoon -- my modem connects okay, so why is there anything wrong with its drivers? The AOL error message says I've connected to the wrong site, and that I need to install updated drivers, but how are new modem drivers going to send me to a different site? The message also says I'm on 128kb while I'm on the wrong site, but the speed doesn't seem that slow, and the green arrows show 288/1152 when I hover the mouse over them.

stlucia 12:39 12 Dec 05

Any more ideas, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…