Bt & router use

My father finally got connected to Broadband and after some research decided to go with the limited download £17.99 package. He got the free modem and got connected up. He then liked the look of wireless connection and forked out for a Netgear router. However when trying to get help on setup BT are trying to fob him off saying he has to use the free modem sent and that he can't/shouldn't use the router. Various weak points have been put across but the main point seems to be they don't want more than one pc using the broadband connection. This seems a joke and a try on to me. Why should my father be restricted as to the equipment he can use.

Anyone got any sensible advice here - guidance on the settings required to actually use the router would be ideal. If there is a 1gig limit on downloads and you have to pay more if this is exceeded what's BT's problem?!

JaßîsFaß ˜ 23:09 10 Jan 05

click here

The £17.99 package is for one PC only

It does not say that in any obvious way before you "sign up". I certainly couldn't see it although looking deeper there is an x for more than one pc when comparing packages - hardly obvious...?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 23:17 10 Jan 05

The X is what I was trying to point out

Jeffers22 00:09 11 Jan 05

Can't see any reason why it shouldn't just work. The instructions with the Netgear router are pretty straightforward and if followed should see him up and running. For further help visit the netgear site - there are som really helpful tutorials and articles click here

I've also found the netgear support line very helpful in the past.

Oh, and if you can get him to swap to MetroNet their packages start at just over a tenner click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced