BT Openworld Email setup

GaryH 21:52 22 Oct 03

A friend has recently subscribed to Broadband on BT Openworld and he has problems with the email.
He has setup an account with password and account name. the servers are set as mail.btinternet.com and smtp.btinternet.com. Are these correct as each time he tries to send and receive mail the task fails.

Any ideas?

Joanne_1 21:55 22 Oct 03

The second one is correct but the first should be set as pop.btinternet.com

Morpheus© 22:04 22 Oct 03

you might find they both should be

mail.btopenworld.com

GaryH 22:15 22 Oct 03

do you have BT openworld? This should be universal.

mikef. 22:18 22 Oct 03

Both mine are mail.btinternet.com the incoming server is POP3, which seems to be what your friend should be if his email address is ....@btinternet.com however if his email adress is ....@btopenworld.com it should be as Morpheus© said.

Morpheus© 22:21 22 Oct 03

BT have said that both "openworld" or "btinternet" can be used it makes no difference.

zeb

GaryH 22:23 22 Oct 03

Thanks everyone, I will try the various options mentioned on his PC.....

Taran 22:37 22 Oct 03

It shouldn't matter whether you use mail.btinternet.com or mail.btopenworld.com

I use them both on different machines but for the same account and both computers collect and send emails properly.

You need to have both POP and SMTP as mail.btinternet.com though, or it doesn't work at all.

T

Bandy 23:21 22 Oct 03

With my daughters BT Broadband set up the Openworld web mail is free; but the version which uses Outlook costs an extra £1.50 per month. It may be worth checking if the same applies in your case.

powerless 23:23 22 Oct 03
  Bandy 23:23 22 Oct 03

PS the address is mail.btopenworld.com Although btopenworld and btinternet are interchangable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced