BT openworld broadband or dial up?

javaBalls 12:51 20 Sep 04

I am enquiring about my friend's computer. He was experience problems with his PC - it was running slow, lots of pop-ups.

He has BTOpenworld 'broadband'. It is a business package - his employers installed it on his machine for him.

I suspected that it was infected by Spyware /adware.

However I was confused when I logged onto his computer and it immediately tried to dial a connection? I thought that if it this was broadband then there is never a need to dial a connection?

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

TomJerry 13:07 20 Sep 04

Good he is on BB, otherwise, he will be landed a massive phone bill, a few thousands is not uncommon.

Do Virus scan, then use Adaware, Spybot to get ride of all Spyware and Adware. Finally remind him the danger and very careful when he surf questionable sites.

TomJerry 13:07 20 Sep 04

Good he is on BB, otherwise, he will be landed a massive phone bill, a few thousands is not uncommon.

Do Virus scan, then use Adaware, Spybot to get ride of all Spyware and Adware. Finally remind him the danger and very careful when he surf questionable sites.

TomJerry 13:09 20 Sep 04

after clean all nasty things.

javaBalls 13:11 20 Sep 04

but the username that it uses to dial seems to be his username. it ends with @hg26.btclick.com.

So I thought that maybe 'BT Broadband' was actually a dial up.

Than again it should not dial up immediately after I log in?

javaBalls 13:27 20 Sep 04

I have just rum ad-aware and sypbot on his pc.

Now when I log in it does not try to dial a connection.

Noleg24 13:57 20 Sep 04

the hg26.btclick.com belongs to BT Openworld (now BT Yahoo) and yes thats his username...did u disconnect from the internet and disabled all firewall and antivirus software before running both Ad-aware and Spybot? cos if you didnt it will not let you get back onto the internet...sometimes you may connect but you wont get any web pages...so make sure this has been done.

javaBalls 14:04 20 Sep 04

Noleg24 - he never had any AV software or firewall installed. I suppose I was lucky cos I never thought I had to do that.

Generally, should I always switch of AV programs when scannning PC with Ad-aware and Spybot?

Also, I heard that I should disable system restore before running Ad-aware and Spybot.

javaBalls 11:40 21 Sep 04

As far as I can see, you have been provided with a standard ADSL modem. Unfortunately all ADSL modems connect to broadband through a DUN (Dial Up Networking) connection. Basically it means your broadband modem needs to dial up to the Internet to establish a connection.

If you were to purchase a router, this would allow you to have a 24-hour connection where you would not need to dial up to the Internet. Routers are available from most computer stores.

If you have been infected with spyware or a virus, I would suggest running a full anti virus scan on the computer and/or download a spyware remover.

Noelg23 11:57 21 Sep 04

javaballs..you dont need to disable system restore in order to run ad-aware/spybot...

javaBalls 13:34 21 Sep 04

thanks Noelg2. I was getting a bit confused.

I never knew that BT Broadband customers had to dial a connection?

But it still seems strange to me that when I logged on it tried to immediately connect to the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…