BT Master Socket

Border View 19:57 05 Jan 07

The telephone wiring within my home was installed by BT years and years ago. I dont have a master socket, just a junction box and three extensions. The first extension off the junction box is a BT brand and has six lots of wires within.

I'm having problems with ADSL Max and have seen that the best reception for this type of bb connection is gained when you only have wires 2 and 5 connected.

My question is - whose responsibility is the wiring inside this little box. If BT come out to check the line is it for them to correct it or me. Or if I disconnect the other four and leave just 2 and 5 can BT say the problems were self induced and charge me £50 for coming out.

Catch 22 situation here. Would welcome your comments.

Technotiger 20:00 05 Jan 07

I believe BT will replace an old type box for a new up to date socket, if asked nicely - especially if you are using BT Broadband, maybe even if you are not.

Border View 20:17 05 Jan 07

Thanks for that Technotiger.

Zaphod 3 20:20 05 Jan 07

The first socket is BT responsibilty, if you ask them to change it for an up to date one they should it FOC. If the enigineer kicks up stand your ground!!

countryboy 20:22 05 Jan 07

I moved into a house recently that was wired like Barmoor's, cost me £100 to get BT out to redo the wiring in the house and install a modern master socket, but no problems with BB since then.

Border View 22:30 05 Jan 07

Thanks fellas. Shall contact BT tomorrow.

CurlyWhirly 23:33 05 Jan 07

"Shall contact BT tomorrow."

Let's hope that you don't have to pay for it but I expect you will have to.

In any case hope it works okay for you :)

Lettervanman 23:40 05 Jan 07

I had to call BT for complete loss of 'phone line connection. I asked about replacing the same junction box as yours. The young technician said that as I now had perfect line it may be best to leave things as they were. If you do not have the new type box then you can't disconnect your extensions from BT as thy will ask you to do if you report a fault. Because of this they will not be able to charge you even if a fault is on your extensions. Worth thinking about?

Stuartli 23:59 05 Jan 07

BT is responsible for the wiring in the street to your house box (on the front of the property) and then to your Master Socket.

Any problems in these areas and you don't have to pay any charges if any faults develop.

One of these NET5 boxes with a filtered BB and voice service might prove of benefit:

click here

If you know someone who can fit one or could do it yourself it will provide a substantial improvement if the rest of the incoming wiring is OK.

Stuartli 00:02 06 Jan 07

BT completely redid the wiring from the house box to the Master Socket (which was replaced with the NET5 boxes at the time) after I had problems on dialup.

The line was checked by BT whilst I was on the phone - I had to disconnect various devices, including the modem, before the engineers decided there was a fault.

As a result all the wiring, as I stated, was replaced and there was no charge as it proved to be an earth fault in the BT side of the system.

You can easily check your phone line for quietness by dialling 17070 and choosing option two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced