BT Landline socket and a random RJ45 connector.

MintyDuck 13:22 23 Jun 09

Hi,

I have a telephone line running upstairs and have activated Sky broadband. It didnt work at first and next to the master socket is an RJ45 connector. Not a socket , it's the end on an RJ45 cable which runs upstairs to the bedroom telephe socket.

BT have removed the adpater to the master socket and I cant find one on ebay etc as they are all RJ socket connections.I need an adpater to plug the cable into which will then go into the master socket.

Is there a way to connect this random RJ45 to the main master socket so I can get internet upstairs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Tech Guy 15:12 23 Jun 09

Just wire the cable into the back of the master socket. You'd then have to cut the other RJ45 connector off off and wire that into a BT phone socket upstairs.

This may help: click here

mgmcc 17:13 23 Jun 09

RJ45 is *ETHERNET* connectivity.

A phone/modem cable would have an RJ11 plug and you should be able to pick up an "RJ11 socket to BT plug" if that's what you require.

Tech Guy 19:09 23 Jun 09

Cat 5 cable is actually better for telephone extentions (when used for broadband lines) as the twisted pairs stops noise geting on the line. In normal extentions the bell wire acts as an aerial picking up a lot of noise. Of course you can just not connect the bell wire up if you not using the line for telephones.

Although Mintyduck may have his RJs mixed up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced