BT internet and Outlook Express problem

hargranules 18:34 26 Jan 06

Hi, I am trying to mend a pc which will not send messages with outlook express.

It is three pc's all on the same network all say users password is not valid. But if I get e - mails from website directly passwords work fine.

Can use outlook express with my aol account, this works fine so don't think it is an outlook express problem.

Can connect to internet fine so not a problem with internet connection or router.

Have run sfc scannow, have removed and set up e - mail account many times. Have disabled anti - virus, have run windows updates. Have been on bt helpline twice so no all details i enter on tools, accounts are valid.

All pc's are windows xp

Nothing I try seems to work, can anyone help?

steven_frost 20:11 26 Jan 06

you have to do the following
on the outgoing use mail.btinternet.com
then tick the box that says my sever needs to be authentication
click the settings box
in their click log on using then in the boxes put your user name and password job done

howard63 20:12 26 Jan 06

is it possible that this machine is set as host for internet connection sharing - your symptoms bring to mind a similar problem when a friend got a router and had not stopped the original host of the peer to peer network from being the ics host.

Daveboy 20:16 26 Jan 06

You have 2 possible addresses : @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com, try the one you are not using to see if that works. Same applies to pop & smtp servers.

hargranules 20:33 26 Jan 06

Daveboy - will try the btopenworld rather than btinternet, thanks for that tip.

Steven_frost.I have put outgoing as btinternet.com and server needs authenication but not done the bit on setting can you explain more clearly what i have to do.

Also the comment from howard63 there outlook express accounts have been set up for a long time and suddenly stopped working so would the problem you mentioned apply. If so what do I do to fix it?

steven_frost 20:38 26 Jan 06

all you have to do is put yout user name the one you log on with i.e the main account one and also the password

hargranules 21:11 26 Jan 06

put my user name and password in many times but will continuely come up with logon box.

Cannot find the settings box. Where is this I am using outlook express 6

click the settings box
in their click log on using then in the boxes put your user name and password job done

steven_frost 21:26 26 Jan 06

go tools accounts then clcik the mail tap open your email account then click on servers then settings

steven_frost 13:39 30 Jan 06

Has this worked

hargranules 14:38 30 Jan 06

It started working again by itself. Now the guy is saying he is getting the e - mails from the wrong machine. Not quite sure what he means or why he has 3 machines at home just for home use.

Will go and see him and find out more.

Thanks for your help. I will mark as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now