BT Internet connection set-up

AlanHo 08:39 07 Oct 08

I have set up a new Dell computer with Vista for an old friend - with connection to his BT broadband via a Netgear wired ethernet modem router.

I have always used a cable connection on my computers and am not familiar with the BT ADSL connection - fortunately the Netgear installation wizard was very easy to use and the connection was established without difficulty.

However - there is a problem. I am used to my cable connection being made automatically upon booting the computer - but on my friends computer you have to open Internet Explorer or click on a "connect" icon to get the connection established. The problem affects AVG which tries to update itself when the computer is booted but before the connection is manually established. It throws up an error message that it was not able to connect to the server, leaves a red warning flag in the system tray and goes off in a sulk. You have to manually invoke an AVG update.

Am I missing something here ? - is it a feature of an ADSL connection that you have to connect to the internet by manually clicking on "connect" or opening Internet Explorer ?. Is there a way of getting the computer to connect to the internet automatically upon booting to avoid this activity....? I do hope so....

Halmer 08:42 07 Oct 08

Tools/Internet Options/Connections

How is that set up under 'choose settings'?

rawprawn 09:10 07 Oct 08

For Vista Control Panel>Network & Sharing Centre>Manage Wireless Networks> Right Click on the Router that you connect to. Properties> Tick the boxes "connect Auto when this is in range"
and "Connect to a more preferred network if available"

Technotiger 09:21 07 Oct 08

Also - never turn off the Router!

AlanHo 23:01 07 Oct 08

Thanks for the info guys - I will try some tweaking the next time I am visiting my friend.

I will optimistically mark the thread as resolved.

Technotiger 23:05 07 Oct 08

Also in IE Tools>InternetOptions>Connections make sure that "Never dial a connection" is checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…