bt. internet - automatic startup

badgermansix 07:25 21 Mar 10

WinXP sp3.
My friend uses btinternet.com.
To get on line she has to connect manually, I am with Virgin and I am connected online (via int exe)automatically.
Is there a way for her to be connected automatically when she opens internet explorer?

thank you

Technotiger 09:09 21 Mar 10

Does your friend have a BTHomeHub, and if so what version, also what BT Option does your friend have?

badgermansix 09:54 21 Mar 10

Technotiger, thank you for replying.

I have spoken to her, she does not use a hub and is on option 3, does this help?

badgermansix 09:58 21 Mar 10

I have just been corrected..., she says that she does have a hub - version 2? but she has never connected because her PC is connected straight into the wall socket?

rawprawn 10:02 21 Mar 10

She should connect the hub as per BT instructions and it will then solve her problem.
If she can, she is better to connect manually rather than using the CD BT supplies.

Technotiger 10:10 21 Mar 10

I would advise her to use the BTHomeHub rather than the direct connection. I have the same setup BTHomeHub Version 2.0, BT Option3 - my hub is always on, even when PC is off and I am always on-line as soon as I start my PC. She does not need to use the BT CD to make the connection/setup, simply switch everything off, then connect telephone line to hub, hub to power and to PC, using the supplied ethernet cable to PC. She should then switch everything on, start PC and wait for the four blue lights on hub to settle down, may take a minute or two, then start IE.

Technotiger 10:14 21 Mar 10

PS - if she does not have the BT Hub Telephone, then she will only have three blue lights on hub, not four!

Technotiger 10:39 21 Mar 10

Just had another thought - remind her to use ADSL Filters on all telephone points in her home for the Broadband to work properly.

Technotiger 10:56 21 Mar 10
  badgermansix 16:46 23 Mar 10

Thank you all very much, I will pass this on, I am sure it will help.
thanks again.

badgermansix 11:58 05 Apr 10

Technotiger, now sorted with you help, tyvm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…