BT infinity help

Bike-it 00:28 AM 24 Sep 11

Yesterday we got BT infinity installed, but today my daughter was able to connect to the BT home hub wireless without being asked for a security key, ? when i open the network and sharing centre and hover over our network it gives you The hub name BT HUB3- TG7Q, signal strength Excellent, security type WPA2-PSK, radio type 802.11n, SSID BT HUB3- TG7Q, we have two laptops at home,? so what i need to know is, is our network / internet secure from other people not in our house form logging onto it?

Secret-Squirrel 08:54 AM 24 Sep 11

"is our network / internet secure from other people not in our house form logging onto it?"

The stats for your wireless network clearly show that it's encrypted and password protected using "WPA2-PSK". That's currently the strongest wireless security protocol so you needn't worry.

It's likely that your daughter didn't need to input the password again because her laptop saved the settings from when she connected initially.

Bike-it 14:03 PM 24 Sep 11

My daughter never connected her laptop to the BT hub ever,

Secret-Squirrel 14:28 PM 24 Sep 11

OK, so how did she initially connect? Did she perhaps use the new WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) method which doesn't require a password but instead the user simply chooses the wireless network from the list and then presses the relevant button on the router. Another way to connect with WPS is by entering a PIN.

If you're in doubt then delete the saved wireless network from her laptop, connect again and let us know the steps you took to establish the connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know