BT i-plate, do you use one?

Diemmess 15:14 03 Apr 09

For better or worse I changed to btinternet in early February.

It was certainly better for speed, improving over about a fortnight, nearly to the max I can expect on this line.

Over the last few days speed has slowly dropped to half the speed I had initially. In the begining I had a lot of help by phone but I cant find the 84***** number I used then!!! Anyone help with the number please?

I have disconnected the bell wire at the master socket (pin 3 orange + white) but this made no difference. This is the socket which connects to the router.

BT are keen to sell an i-plate. Friends say this shouldn't be necessary if the bell wire has been disconnected.

What do you think of this gizmo?

Stuartli 16:16 03 Apr 09

The advice at Broadbandbuyer.co.uk on the BT iPlate page is:

1) Although 7 out of 10 homes can benefit to some extent, line speed improvements cannot be guaranteed in every case as the level of interference present on different ADSL lines can vary greatly.

2) The instances below indicate where the iPlate will have little or no effect:
- Where there is already an SSFP (Service Specific Front Plate) installed, thus separating the broadband and telephone signals
- Where the socket is a newly installed BT Openreach socket (with BT Openreach Logo)
- Where the line is newly installed, without the bell ringer wire included

Pineman100 18:52 03 Apr 09

I fitted one of these about 3 months ago. Like you, I initially felt that my broadband speed improved, but little by little I feel subjectively that it's dropped away again.

However, it's very difficult to tell empirically. It may be that I've just got used to the improved speed.

I periodically run various different speed tests on my connection, and they always vary wildly, so I really have no 'control' figure to compare with.

That's no help to you at all, is it?!

Cockney Rebel 20:51 03 Apr 09

Think this is the number you want. 08001114567.

Technotiger 21:48 03 Apr 09

Hi,

I recently moved to a new address, only a few hundred yards from my old address. At the old place I used a BT iPlate which actually more than doubled my Speed - it was great.

Unfortunately my new home has a very recently installed BT Openreach socket. I still use the iPlate but there is very little difference, just a slight improvement, compared to using the socket without the iPlate. I am thinking of asking BT to replace the Openreach socket.

Stuartli 23:55 03 Apr 09

Not quite the word I would have used...:-)

If you have an NTE5 Master Socket then it's very, very unlikely that an iPlate will make any difference.

Diemmess 09:05 04 Apr 09

Thank you all for really useful comments.
BT [of course] recommend their speeedtester.bt.com so while most other speed test programs produce worse results than this, I paste below the BT speed thing derived immediately before I logged in here this morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 5024 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3728 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Best figures on 15 February were
DSL connection rate 6272Mbps
IP profile 5500
Actual 4921

Stuartli Yes, NTE5, not a lot of hope except that the logo is like this ¬.. but with more length to the downstroke.

Cockney Rebel the number looks good. When I have enough to bind about I'll try it. A lot of sub menus to choose methinks.

Pineman100 Yes, you and me both, but its nice to talk!

Technotiger. I sympathise. Some BT designer must know the answers. You would think it was in BT's interests to have a clear path to success with folklore trimmed away and replaced by proven methods.
Come to think of it, computers aren't that simple!

Diemmess 08:58 07 Apr 09

I like to see green ticks and will add one to this thread.

The underlying facts.
About a year ago I began to realise that my 10year loyalty to AOL was being tested by a dramatic drop in connection speeds. On occasions down to 40 or 50Kbps.
By mid February this year, I'd had enough and migrated to Btinternet.

Connection and MAC were no problem and I was given help to configure things to best.

There were periods when I seemed to be dropping speed again and so I asked specifically should I keep the router live all the time?
Their answer was YES, because the best speeds only develope over several days and switching the thing off would have the effect of puting me back in the queue so to speak.

The other mod was to disconnect the bell wire at the master phone socket.
No obvious improvement but today, nearly a week later I have the best result ever using as I have done BT's own speedtester.bt.com.
This mornings figures at 0840 were:

"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5856 kbps"

Diemmess 09:04 07 Apr 09

Yes I've tried an array of different speed testers ove this period and surprise surprise, other sites give lower speeds.
However as a comparison they echo the fall and rise of my connection.

The program that shows the best speed over my line to the local exchange gives a figure of 6.2Mbps so I appear to be set at the optimum for the present.

BurrWalnut 12:51 07 Apr 09

Something to bear in mind is to keep the router/modem permanently plugged in. Frequent unplugging not only resets the profile but can wrongly indicate a problem and cause a cautious lowering of download speed.

I only ever disconnect the router if there is a severe storm in the area, say, 4 times a year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…