BT Hub - Does it have to be connected to pc

old anna 19:32 24 May 08

My son has asked me to set up this hub for his only new computer which is a laptop. Can anyone tell me, Does it need an extra computer to be wired up too? and if so can it be any old computer I may find in the attic.
My own desktop is connected to a router which serves my laptop, so I am a bit confused as to what he wants me to do. this is his first computer and he knows nothing about them.
I would be so glad of any help here.

Ditch999 19:46 24 May 08

If its the BT Home Hub then you dont need a PC wired to it. It may be easier to configure it initially with a pc that is wired to it but for every day running it does not need a wired pc.

old anna 19:56 24 May 08

Thank you so much, you have answered my question.
I set it up using his laptop and then it will work independently.

much obliged

100andthirty 21:24 24 May 08

I am assuming your son will connect his BT home hub to a different telephone line from yours or he lives in a different dwelling from you.

If you both live at the same address and just want to use the same broadband connection then he should connect to your router.

old anna 11:47 25 May 08

He has his own home ,so no its not one that can go on my network. I must admit though I am dreading trying to set it up.

Daveboy 16:31 25 May 08

It will be a doddle, it is not even necessary to use BT.s software (unless you want all the bells and whistles that come with it).

old anna 17:19 25 May 08

thanks daveboy,so you think it would be better without bt software ? Will it just run with a wizard?

Daveboy 17:35 25 May 08

I wouln't presume to advise you on this issue, the choice is yours. Suffice to say I did not feel the need for it personally.
If the hub fires up with all lights blazing your wireless device should pick up the network and after inserting the wep code (default security on hubs) you should be away.

old anna 17:43 25 May 08

Thanks daveboy, great help

100andthirty 18:07 25 May 08

Sorry to have asked such an obvious question.

If you're at all worried look at Frequencycast site and filesaveas forum - google them with the word homehub added. They have loads of info about the Home Hub and recommend never installing BT software.

The manual that comes with the Home Hub is quite clear. you can make it all work from the wireless straight off, but unless you've already proved the computer's wireless works you'd be better off connecting with an ethernet cable - one comes with the home hub. I have one of these and it was a doddle.

old anna 18:37 25 May 08

thankyou 100andthirty,
I will check out the sites you have suggested. you have all been a great help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…