Bt homehub

postie24 17:00 16 Mar 07

Friends of mine are signing up for btbroadband using the homehub.
Are they easy to set up for a wireless connection to a laptop?
Do you still have to set up wep/wpa?
Am used to a modem/router so was wondering if they work the same.
Many thanks in advance

STREETWORK 21:58 16 Mar 07

It all comes in a box with full easy to follow instructions...

postie24 11:20 17 Mar 07

Cheers streetwork

Postie24

irishrapter 19:29 17 Mar 07

As far as I know it also comes with wireless enabled and with a 64bit WEP key enable.
Which can be very useful for people to set it up via wireless but also causes a very big security risk!

Most people dont bother to change the WEP key to WPA or dont bother to turn off the wireless if they dont need it.

A 64bit WEP key can be broke in about five to ten minutes!

I have seen a hugh increase in BT Homehubs popping up all over the place, all still with their default settings enabled.

postie24 20:09 17 Mar 07

irishrapter thanks for the info,will change it to wpa

Tim 20:28 18 Mar 07

i did not know you should change from the WEP key to WPA. There was nothing in the BT homehub installation information to say that I should. In fact it said that you should have no reason to go into this area of the homehub.

irishrapter 22:19 18 Mar 07

I found that very funny myself when I was experimenting with the Home Hub, I guess BT do not want to make the installation anymore complicated, the more complicated the router setup is the more people will be phoning their support lines!

They use WEP as their default because it is more compatible then WPA, especially on older wireless equipment. I guess you could argue that any encryption is better than none but they really should explain the risks of WEP and at the very least have a 128 bit key as default instead of a 64 bit, not anymore secure but it would take that bit longer to crack.

Just remember that although WPA doesn’t have the same flaws as WEP it is only as strong as its passphrase. If you use a silly passphrase, mainly one that is in a dictionary, then someone running a simple dictionary attack will be able to break into your router.
Use a 63 character password click here for a randomly generated password.
It would take years for someone to brute force a 63 character password!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…