BT Home Hub & HDD

Mikera 15:17 22 Oct 09

Hi All, I'm having difficulty using my HDD as a destination location for my Back-ups. I have connected it to the hub via the USB-A port and I can 'see' it via Windows Explorer and I can copy/open files OK. However when I try to set it up as the back-up location, I receive the following error message after entering the User Name and password as requested by the BT Hub - 'The network share could not be acccessed for the following reason: No mapping between account name & security IDs was done, (0x80070534). Please ensure that the network is valid'. Can anyone help please. I'm running Vista Home Premium, but I get the same scenario from my laptop which is running XP Home. The BT Home Hub is a 'white', I beleive it's either V1 or V1.5, s/w version 6.2.6H. Cheers, Mike

T0SH 19:57 22 Oct 09

To use a hard drive connected to the usb1 port on the home hub is at best agonisingly slow, from memory it shows up best if you create a new workgroup named BT on each of the sharing PC`s

There is more info available here in the USB ports section

click here

Cheers HC

Mikera 22:49 28 Oct 09

Hi All & TOSH, This seems to be a difficult one to solve. I also 'posted' on another forum specific to BT Home Hubs, again very little response. So I have connected the HDD back onto my desktop PC and worked through the 'sharing' options in Windows Vista & XP. And it works!!! Only small issue is that the desktop has to be 'on' at the time when I want to backup the laptop etc - no big problem. I have also set up my printer for 'sharing' too. Keep up the good work. Cheers, mikera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…