BT Home Hub - ADSL

EFC1878 18:54 24 Jan 07

I have got a BT Home Hub and woukld like to answer a couple of (possibly) simple and obvious questions:

a) I assume that I have an ADSL connection
b) I hear a lot about rogue dial up trojans etc - I assume that I am not on dial up and am free from being affected on my broadband connection (or is this a false assumption)
c) On my previous connection my dial-up number was 0,38 and I could check this anytime [my simplistic way of trying to check that I was not being redirected to another number] can/should I need to bother to check with the hub?

howard64 18:57 24 Jan 07

with broadband you are on an adsl connection and not on dial up - your ip address is the equivalent of your dial up no. and this is input from the home hub. Useful to add virus protection and a firewall.

Scottiedogg 18:58 24 Jan 07

adsl (which you have on a home hub) does not use dial up, it is a line of its own from the telephone exchange so you don't need to worry about any dial-up issues- relax!

Fingees 20:11 24 Jan 07

Just a small point, if you happen to have a dial up modem fitted, don't leave it plugged into the telephone socket, even if you use dial up on rare occasions.

If you do, then you run the risk of a rogue dialer being downloaded on broadband, and dialing out on normal phone line. Otherwise your pretty safe.
All the best

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac