BT Home Hub 2 connection problem

mhov 21 Aug 12

I have a Dell 530 with a wired connection to a BT Home Hub. A few days ago the internet connection failed. The Hub and cables are OK as I can access the internet by wired or wirelsss connection using a laptop. Thinking the network card may have failed I have installed a new one. Device Manager tells me the new card is working correctly and the driver is up to date but when I try to re-establish the network connection the installation programme gets as far as testing the connection and reports 'not connected'. I know the cable is OK and the Hub is working correctly so cannot understand why the computer will not connect to the hub.

morddwyd 22 Aug 12

Have you tried resetting the hub (bottom button I think).

It often cures unexplained glitches.

mhov 22 Aug 12

Yes - but it doesn't cure the problem.

chub_tor 22 Aug 12
  mhov 23 Aug 12

Yes. I've tried pretty much everything but without success. I think it might be time for a trip to the repair shop!

difarn 23 Aug 12

You could try re-setting the winsock in case this has become corrupted.

In the Command Prompt, type in the bold text, one command after the other, pressing Enter between each one of them:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:type- netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:type- netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:type -netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Restart the computer.

Nick_OB 24 Aug 12

I have exactly the same problem - internet connection failed and when it restarted the wired desktop will no longer connect (though laptops will, even with the same cable from the back of the PC). I also tried putting a wifi dongle in the desktop to see if I could connect wireless and even that doesn't work. I'll try the Winsock suggestion. Is there any chance that the BomeHub software has been changed and some firewall settings have changed?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to set up Apple Music & make sure you don't get charged: Get Apple Music for free

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message