BT emails through Windows Live Mail

ds7183 20:39 16 Oct 09

Hi - help please. I have just switched broadband to BT and have a BT email address which is receiving emails but I can't send any. I run my email accounts through Windows Live Mail (as I have a hotmail account also) and the error message coming up each time I attempt to send an email is as follows:-

The server does not support a SSL connection.

Subject '
Server Error: 250
Server Response: 250 8BITMIME
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC7D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): Yes

Has anyone any ideas please?

Sea Urchin 20:47 16 Oct 09

In Windows Live Mail go to Tools - Accounts - highlight the account and click Properties. Go to Advanced tab and untick the box beside This server requires a secure connection (SSL) under Outgoing Mail (SMTP) - click Apply and OK.

ds7183 22:59 16 Oct 09

Thanks Sea Urchin, I have tried that and the error message that comes up now is:-

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was '[email protected]'.

Subject '
Server Error: 530
Server Response: 530 authentication required - "Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit click here"
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

Sea Urchin 12:13 17 Oct 09

Same route as previously - but go to Servers tab and under Outgoing Mail Server tick box My Server requires authentication. Click Apply and OK.

ds7183 15:34 17 Oct 09

Well done Sea Urchin, it worked. Thank you so much.

Sea Urchin 15:49 17 Oct 09

Glad to hear you are now able to send mail OK. Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…