bt broadband,,,please can you help????

grum78 21:10 11 Jun 07

hi,

i recently took out bt total broadband option 3 around 4 weeks ago. and have since had nothing but problems and bad speeds and bad help.

according to the bt speed check i was getting 0.563kbps
and with online speed checker it 0.896kbps

i spent 4 hours in total over the weekend to the bt "help" team trying to sort out the bad speeds but to no avail until at 1.30 am on sunday i was speaking again to a "ad visor"
who told me "you are getting a connection of 7mb" he then went to itunes (he was remotely link to my p.c) and showed me this by downloading the file @ 750kbps very happy i was.

today i logged on and lo and behold my speeds are awful again.

i really want to get shot off bt but they wont cancel my contract.

if anyone has any ideas or advise on how to sort the speeds or how i can cancel i would be VERY grate full

ta

grum

also i live 460 mtrs from the exchange, is this good or bad???

Mac70 21:28 11 Jun 07

Try a speedtest
click here
and tell us the result.

STREETWORK 21:28 11 Jun 07

Try this:

1. Call BT (150) and ask them to give a line check.
2. Request that they increase the gain on the line.

click here to test the speed.

grum78 21:53 11 Jun 07

hi there,

this is what i got

1891 kbps - up
391 kbps - down

Dipso 22:15 11 Jun 07

Take this test click here and post back with the results, it may take a few gos.

You appear to be quite close to your exchange so should be connecting at the full 8 Meg. Can you find and post your line stats from your mode or router and post those too click here

Dipso 22:21 11 Jun 07

Should have said the test I linked to is not just another speedtest, it will advise what your line profile is and could explain the low speeds you are experiencing.

^wave^ 08:29 12 Jun 07

just to check a few things you have got filters in every phone socket. if havent then you must have. you could try unplugging every thing from the phone system and trying just your brodband, then use a different filter as you could have a bad one. are you using an extension lead and are you wireless also what time of day are you using thenetwork

grum78 20:47 12 Jun 07

hi, and first of all....
a big thanks for any help you have gave so far.
ok, i called bt yesterday and tried again to sort this with them but i was treated very badly by a member of the service team who did not want to listen to what i had to say, when i asked any thing she just spoke over me.
she took remote control of my p.c and took me to a bt speed test site, it showed i was getting a 7.2mb connection, great you may think. i then showed her to itunes.com where i started to download a file, its downloading at 105kbps, "can you see that??" i asked??? "yes" she said. i then asked why download speeds are so poor on an 7.2mb connection to which she just kept repeating "you have 7mb, you have 7mb" i gave up and hung up.
i know speeds vary but this was 11pm and i dont think it right, i also tried downloading off other sites, but still the same speeds..
ok, dipso...
i tried the bt speed check 9 times,,,, not
working so i used this
(click here)
and this is what i got..
Your estimated download speed is: 1,707 kbits/sec - (1.67Mb) - (213 KBytes/sec)
You told us your speed was Up to 8Mb and your ISP: BT Total Broadband
the homehub info is....
My broadband connection

Your broadband line is connected.
Broadband connection details:

Downstream 7,616 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
Connection time 0 days, 22:26:46
Data transmitted 11.17 MB
Data received 26.90 MB
hi wave..
all my filters are fine and my p.c is next to the main phone socket. i have used the net every hour god sends over the last week,,,, still no better.

grum78 20:48 12 Jun 07

also THANK YOU EVERYONE!! i mean it. you all have been ace people :)

Dipso 21:37 12 Jun 07

"she took remote control of my p.c and took me to a bt speed test site, it showed i was getting a 7.2mb connection"

Do you have the URL of this "test site" As far as I can see you are connecting at 7616 so the fastest speed possible due to the way BT set the system up is 6.5 Meg, therefore 7.2 Meg is impossible to get from your line. I wonder if she was just showing you the router stats or an inaccurate speedtester?

Please try the test I linked to earlier again. Try at a quiet time on the net. I have a suspicion but need the results to confirm it.

A few BT customers have been having speed issues and when they perform the BT speedtest they get the full speed but when they take a third party test they don't...mmm.

grum78 21:49 12 Jun 07

hi dipso,

i have it.....

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5540 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac