BT Broadband, Vista HP, Yahoo email problems

brundle 21:30 27 Mar 08

Owner has had no problem using her Yahoo.co.uk email account via POP3 for at least 18 months until around a month ago - Windows Mail frequently refuses to send emails, throwing up a 0x800CCC0F error - 3 possibilities, "Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity". Network problems and `inactivity` don't apply, leaving one possibility which I've not encountered using my own ISP and Yahoo account (see below).
I pinged and tracert'd the SMTP server and all was well, Telnet to the POP3 server was unsuccessful, installed Thunderbird which gave the same problems as Windows Mail. She's been with BT BB since December 2007 and had no problem until recently.
I checked if my rarely-used Yahoo account was able to access emails via POP3 - complete success (from my own ISP - Virgin). Can anyone offer any suggestions ?

Daveboy 22:38 27 Mar 08

It seems the BT Yahoo mail service which is available as a subscription service or is bundled with BT Total broadband packages has been having service issues. vnunet.com has some comments from BT, indicating that the service issues are in the process of being fixed and that people have been having problems since March 11th.

Our own BT Total forum section has a number of threads about email issues, with people finding that while they previously were able to use a non BT email address as the sender address (e.g. [email protected] instead of [email protected]) something changed on the BT servers to stop this working. There is a solution which involves registering the sending email address via the web mail client (details in this post).

[ Topic: Internet Service Providers | 4 comment(s) | link to this item

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…