BT Broadband update causes problems

musicbassman 20:56 27 Dec 09

I received an update message from BT Broadband this afternoon - it updated and then asked to transfer my setup from BT wireless management to Windows wireless management - something about this being the preferred system now.
Result of this change was that I then completely lost my broadband connection, and after fiddling around with both the BT and Windows diagnostic tools for a couple of hours with no improvement I gave up. Then I used System Restore to revert to the old settings prior to the update - and everything works perfectly again.
Anyone else had this problem? If you are offered this update it may be a good idea to be cautious and create a Restore Point first.

penholder 22:01 27 Dec 09

Am BT Broadband user but not had this update message. Was it legit? What BT Option are you on?

Technotiger 22:08 27 Dec 09

I also use BT Broadband, but have not had this so-called update - this sounds like a wind-up or worse! I would advise you to run all your Anti-everything programs, to be on the safe side.

compumac 22:10 27 Dec 09

I also have BT Broadband and not had this update message.

compumac 22:11 27 Dec 09

How did you receive this message?

musicbassman 08:31 28 Dec 09

Thanks for your replies. A normal BT update window appeared, and after the update I had the message about the change. Obviously I cant remember the exact graphics or text - it appeared to be exactly the same appearance as the usual BT format - I didn't study it closely, although I'm usually very cautious about anything offered as an "improvement", especially if it has the words 'Microsoft' or 'Windows' in it - usually means it will be worse afterwards!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…