BT Broadband Speed

Newuser939 12:09 18 Jun 06

Some weeks ago I upgraded from 2MB to 8MB broadband with BT. At the time BT advised that the maximum speed I could expect from the service was in practice 6.5MB which was fair enough. I have since carried out several speed tests at different times of the day and week. The highest speed achieved has been 3MB whilst it often drops to just below 1MB. Is this typical in other people's experience or does it imply a problem?

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:15 18 Jun 06

It depends on how many people are online at the same time, the genral speed of the Internet and the distance from the exchange. Judging by other people's experiences this would seem to be fairly typical.

Dipso 21:59 18 Jun 06

Do you know what speed your line is syncing at? This is usually shown in your router or modem stats. The sync speed will give an indication of the download speed you can expect to get, however, as explained above this is affected by other factors.

Try doing a speedtest during the early hours and see what you get then. To rule out problems with your ISP follow this click here which explains how to perform a test directly with BT Wholesale bypassing your ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…