BT Broadband and Router purchase help

Giggle n' Bits 00:57 14 Dec 06

Asking on behalf of friend she got Bt Broadband has moved house and modem was damaged crushed.

She bought a seond pc for daughter homeowrk etc xmas prezzie, and wants to have wirless connection from her main Desktop to other desktop.

as she has a BT Broadband service, which Modem Wireless router/s would be more suitable for use with BT BBand (both XP machines)

I thought of Netgear or buying a BT Voyager 2091 with 1055 Wirless Adapter or would a Belkin wirless modem router with a Belkin PCi Ariel card do the job.

Thing is becuase its BT how or what are the settings for things like IP Address, Primary and Secondary DNS, is there any problems if not using a BT Voyager wirless.

Have only to End of Friday to get one cos pc needs to be hidden after setting up ready.

oldbeefer2 12:40 14 Dec 06

I bought a Netgear DG834G for my daughter. Set itself up automatically to her TalkTalk BB, so you should have no problems. fair price from ebuyer.

Giggle n' Bits 14:26 14 Dec 06

should have asked also what/where the BT Broadband IP & DNS Settings are

oldbeefer2 20:36 14 Dec 06

I think you'll find that it sorts itself out. computer illiterate daughter was on line in minutes!

Giggle n' Bits 22:29 14 Dec 06

But how about Laptop setting, doesn't this need configuring with IP address & DNS server Prim and Sec ?

oldbeefer2 10:56 15 Dec 06

Again, she connected to router with ethernet cable, followed the wizard, then switched to wireless. It all worked with no assistance from me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos