BT Broadband random disconnects

timlewis123 23:58 06 Jan 06

I have been on 1 MB broad band with BT for over 6 month now. I have been using a 1mb conneciton for this time ALTHOUGH the package im in its supposed to be a 2 MB conneciton, but im too far away from the phone exchange to get 2 mb. Anyway i havnt had a problem with it up since about 4 weeks ago and still having problems.
I can go on the internet from up to 30 seconds to 3 hours. Then the DSL light will keep flashing on the modem and i wont be able to reconnect for sometime and when i can reconnect i get disconnected soon after. ,(Im using BT Voyager 20 ADSL router). WE have replaced the lines twice now, had 2 replacement routers sent, had the connection on the master socket AND an extension, aswell as installing the modem and internet on 2 different machines and it still does the same thing. We have also had an engineer out who was next to useless and we are still waiting for the next engineer to come. BT have done line checks and they say the line is fine.

I have browsed the internet looking for solutions and was suprised to see how many other peopel had the same problem, and the equally unhelpful BT support. Maybe you guys could shed some light on this for me,

Thanks,
Tim Lewis

timlewis123 00:00 07 Jan 06

[Typo: Im using a 'BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router']

Graham ® 10:01 07 Jan 06

Common causes of Broadband disconnections:

The USB modem may not be getting sufficient power, or the power is being reduced by another device on the same Hub. View this Microsoft article click here

The computer may be configured to turn off the modem to save power. In Device Manager, find the modem. It may be under Network Adapters. Select Action, Properties, Power Management. Do a similar check on any Routers you are using .
Phone extension cabling may be prone to induced interference from mains wiring. If necessary, run a temporary extension lead to rule this out.

Radio interference from cordless, including DECT, telephones. Turn them all off and disconnect, to check this one.

Radio interference from taxis, CBs, neon lights, streetlights, etc. If one of these is suspected, BT can fit a suppressor to the incoming line.

There may be a clue in Event Viewer. Start > right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > System > Select an Event > Action > Properties. You can send the data to Microsoft for more detailed information.

WOMAN HEAD 12:18 07 Jan 06

The last posting is correct,firstly make sure you go into the main bt socket with the front plate off which will disconnect all your extesions then plug direcly into the socket and see how this goes,if still a problem see if anything is being powered up when it switches off I.E. tv,washing machine,kettle,street light, neighbours equipment ect, ect. which has caused this problem in the past... as anything with a poor earth can interfere with the dsl signal ,if this does not appear to be causing a problem post back and I will put more options which may resolve this.

hambo12 20:04 20 Jan 06

I play counterstrike a lot but since I got the voyager 205, i can only access about 120 servers, where before it was thousands, whats the problem.

Bt can't help.

BBez 11:19 03 Jun 06

you have to telnet://192.168.1.1 and increase max no. of connections to 512 (511 if you running v1.8 firmware).

Here's the command in telnet to increase:

modify nbsize maxipsess 512

and for gaming:

Opening and closing lots of connexions quickly can fill up the connection table pretty fast, because you open new connections before you have closed the old ones. How long the old connexions stay open is up to you..

modify nat global tcpidletimeout 3600 tcpclosewait 45 tcptimeout 30 udptimeout 90

those are the default setting, but you can probably get off with using much lower values, especially if you search for game servers a lot, something like these..

modify nat global tcpidletimeout 1800 tcpclosewait 30 tcptimeout 10 udptimeout 15

or less. Each setup is slightly different. There are other parameters that may be set, too, for more details, open a telnet session with your router and do..

modify nat global ?

Ade_1 11:28 03 Jun 06

Your problems sound just like mine! Apart from i cant even get 1mb, im stuck on 512!. However, i have a wireless router (2110) after switching from the 205. But i know the feeling, its just random switching off, however it did slightly improve when i moved to wireless and i had an enginneer out a couple of days ago due to the problem, and he did some things which i am not entirly sure about... I have still had problems but it has slightly improved.

They did something with the nearby Cabinet with some E something or other and they fitted somethign onto the master socket so i dont have to use filters again. I have a slightly better reading of 1Db. I was tgetting 60DB and now im getting 59DB but still stuck on 512. Personally i would continue to inform BT of the problem and tell them its no better. It may pay off in the future.

Also do what Woman Head said as BT will tell you to do the same thing, although i was one step ahead as we had done it already, that sped up the process, the only reason i knew to do that was because my father works for BT, although not on the Broadband side.

O and Hambo, i had the same problem, i did the sort of thing BBez has said and it sorted it out great. I think the Voyager 205 routers are useless , a mate of mine has a 205 still and the problems he is having whenever he opens Steam or a P2P type program it just stops his browser from working, he gets no connection to sites at all.

Ade_1 11:30 03 Jun 06

...when we moved the 205 downstairs when we had wired it worked slightly better being in the main socket with the front panel off, however it meant wires all over the hosue and thats how we ended up getting Wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…