bt broadband query

madPentium 22:44 18 Oct 03

For over a year I have been wanting broadband but NTL dont have cable in my road and everytime I punched in my post code/phone number into the btopenworld web site it said "sorry, your exchange is over 5km away and so broadband is not available".
I received an email from bt on thursday saying congratulations, you are nominated for free broadband installation. I got rather annoyed thinking they have screwed up but when I entered my post code/phone number it said my exchange is now adsl enabled but it didnt say anything about the distance. So I ordered it. Friday I received email from bt saying they have tested my line and hey presto it will work ok.
So, did bt lie about the distance and it was really that they hadn't updated my exchange? or
is the distance still an issue and I will get all sorts of problems?

tony1160 23:09 18 Oct 03

pass i'm will over 20km from my nearest exchange

jolorna 23:10 18 Oct 03

hi i have just started using bt broadband mine is ok but you will find that if you order on the internet you will have 14 days after it is activated to cancel if your not happy that is the option they have given me

simonp1 08:17 19 Oct 03

distance is a problem, but you will only find out once you sign up. The Bt engineer will complete his work if possible, then if all goes well then great news.

Personally their are better isp's around depending on your requirements try this site for ideas.

click here

mikef. 10:25 19 Oct 03

BT have just managed to increase the distance from the exchange that Broadband is available, so if you were just out of the original distance you may now be inside the new distance limits.

minter 10:32 19 Oct 03

I had a problem with distance.

Take a look at click here

It is a bit long winded but it gets there in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…