BT Broadband & POP3 Email

RobG 09:28 23 Feb 04

I have installed BT Broadband on Win XP Pro and the connection seems to work fine. When I try and access any POP3 email account, IE6 wants to connect via a dial up modem. It will not let me proceed and access any email and returns the page offline. I have uninstalled Broadband and cleared my cookies and IE clutter and reinstalled Broadband. I have also disabled my dial up modem, but still get the same problems. My IE continually prompts to make a dial up connection, I cannot access any POP3 email and any pages are returned offline even if I uncheck the "work offline" option in the file menu. Can anyone help as email is vital to me and I dont want to have to revert to a dial up solution? Many thanks

Paranoid Android 09:40 23 Feb 04

Check in Tools - Accounts - Properties - Connection and ensure that the correct connection type is shown.

Marvin

jolorna 09:41 23 Feb 04

i also use bt broadband have you set your outlook express tools accounts mail to dial up bt broadband i have freeserve pop mail i can receive but not send so i use a program called postcast server to send my mail

RobG 13:15 24 Feb 04

I managed to solve the dial up issue by doing the following: Control panel/device manager/network adaptors/power management - uncheck "allow to turn off to save power" then also in network adaptors go to USB controller/power management and uncheck the same option. This will stop the connection being dropped and forcing you to reconnect all the time. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems. Thanks to you both above for your suggestions though.

brambles 19:16 24 Feb 04

Extract from BT because I had the same problem.

POP3 Only comes with BT Yahoo Broadband

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This means that BT Broadband offers direct access to the Internet without any Internet content. By content, we mean that there is no email service, no web space, no browser, etc. It is then up to the customer to decide who they choose to provide such services. These are normally charged to the customer separately.

This is why we can offer this product at £27 per month,

Brambles

Complicated I know - if you apply for Web Mail on the BT Broadband home page it offers basic + for a premium payment POP3 email

southwood 19:00 23 Jun 04

BTbroadband Basic does NOT provide an email server.
An alternative to paying extra is to install your own SMTP server on your PC courtesy of click here
PostCast Server is a free SMTP mail server program that enables you to send e-mail messages directly from your computer.
It does exactly what it claims and enables you to keep your existing ISP POP email addresses which can still be accessed via BTbroadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…