BT Broadband .. dropping out at 5 min intervals

JimButler 17:21 27 Jan 06

Hi, a family member has BT`s 1 meg service.
The modem is USB only ( no wireless connections ). His B/Band connection is dropping out essentially every 5 mins ( sometimes 6 ). I montitored events for about 1 hour. I have the connection set to re-dial, which it does OK.
At dropout a message re "Line failure" is briefly displayed before the re-dialling takes place. He has SKY satellite service but I have disconnected this at Tele socket to see if this may be the culprit ... no joy. Any ideas tech-heads ????

Graham ® 17:56 27 Jan 06

Stop the re-dial and give us the full message.

madPentium 18:27 27 Jan 06

typical when you are some distance from the exchange. The weather can especially affect it.
If you open the status of the connection while downloading something, I bet you see several errors appearing?

Stuartli 20:01 27 Jan 06

If you use Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>Settings button>Advanced tab.

Check that the two Disconnect If... boxes are both unchecked.

JimButler 13:26 29 Jan 06

Further to all above. Disconnect If boxes are already unchecked. Attempting to obtain info ie exact "Line Failure" error code if possible. Will get back ASAP.

Kenneth-266656 15:03 29 Jan 06

You say that you are with BT so presumably you have BT Broadband Desktop Help. Open Desktop Help and run the Health Check - this will test your line and connections

JimButler 12:50 01 Feb 06

Yeah I know, all tests show all OK ( Modem, Line etc etc ). I am awaiting further info but I would suspect some process or other is attempting to use the connection in a way that actually drops the connect. As I say, I am awaiting an error code or some info from event logs.... this part is outside my control.
PS Have also run Ad-Aware on sys. to catch any possible junk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009