BT Broadband connection lost ever 5 mins...exactly

babybell 17:10 20 Feb 05

My bt broadband connection is being disconnected every 5 mins (watched connection status for time) Im chatting to a BT Broadband engineer over live chat and he has got me to untick all the boxes that say "allow pc to turn of device to save power" for the USB hubs and the modem itself, i have checked all the settings and the box that says disconnect if idle is not ticked. Problem still occuring, BT engineer has gone all quiet, any of u guys have an idea?

doug_the_diamond 17:13 20 Feb 05

have you set outlook express to automatically check for new messages every five minutes, with the auto disconnect switched on in it? that would disconnect your internet connection as well

babybell 17:14 20 Feb 05

Dont have outlook, i use hotmail. Infact i dont think outlook is even installed on my pc

FelixTCat 17:16 20 Feb 05

Go into the modem and see if there is a part of the setup which sets a time-out.

Magik ®© 17:18 20 Feb 05

have you asked for a line check ?

babybell 17:22 20 Feb 05

Can see no boxes that offer disconnect after 5 mins, engineer says line is fine but did get me to perform hardware tests, cant think what is casuing this

FelixTCat 17:50 20 Feb 05

I don't know what your router has, but mine has an idle time shut-off in it. It depends on the router, but mine is in the Internet Settings secton. Look again, or look in the instructions.

Furthark 17:53 20 Feb 05

Check your USB ports I had the same problem caused by a scanner & broadband modem using the same port & overloading it, try plugging your modem into a different USB port

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…