bt broadband- connection difficulties

DIDO 18:51 04 Jan 05

I can normally connect to bt broadband ok but when my computer has been running for 2 or 3 hours it sometimes refuses to connect with the error message "the port has been disconnected by the user". If I reboot the computer everythings fine again. Im using windows 98SE and a BT voyager modem connected via a usb hub which has performed ok until this trouble

bamfiesler 18:54 04 Jan 05

don't know how important this may be, but check your connection seetings in IE for the the modem, i.e., 'Disconnect if idle for...' etc., etc.

DIDO 19:01 04 Jan 05

tried all those before posting the proble which cant connect not being disconnected - thanks

anon1 19:23 04 Jan 05

I dont understand your question really because broadband is "always on" unless you switch off the modem. Do you mean that after 2 or 3 hours your internet stops responding?

ACOLYTE 19:25 04 Jan 05

It may be the hub thats faulty,can you connect straight to pc?

anon1 19:29 04 Jan 05

Another thought would be that your ethernet card has developed a fault thats assuming you are connecting via ethernet.

DIDO 19:29 04 Jan 05

anon - same when connected straight

acolyte - I disconnect from the connection when not in use and reconnect via the connect icon - prevents hackers etc. viewing my ports and doesnt hog the finite bandwidth available at the exchange or so im told

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…