BT Broadband Basic and ADSL Routers

time and a half 15:31 22 Jun 05

I am trying to connect a Netgear DG834GT wireless router onto a ADSL telephone line just converted to BT Broadband Basic and it will not connect. The router settings shows that the modem is connected but the router does not pick up any DNS servers or has an IP address assigned to it. I have tried the router on an old BT Broadband connection and the router picks up all the correct settings with no problem and connects to the net. The voyager usb modem supplied with the starter pack connects to the new number with no problem. Does the Basic package support routers and if so how can I connect?

woodchip 15:45 22 Jun 05

You have to access the router settings nby means of a Web page. But you need the numbers for the Router Modem. I have Wireless Firwall Router Modem and for Wireless in mine it is http:// 192.168.1.1

I have put a Space before 192 so PCA site does not change it to a Click Hear. you would need to close the space also just try the number on its own. in address bar

time and a half 16:13 22 Jun 05

I have logged on to the router and used the wizard to obtain the settings and whilst it worked fine on the "old" bt broadband line it does not pick up any settings on the "new" broadband basic line.

woodchip 16:15 22 Jun 05

With a new router you should reconfigure it

Lionheart ? 16:22 22 Jun 05

According to BT, BT Broadband Basic package is not suitable for homenetworking.

time and a half 16:27 22 Jun 05

Woodchip. Is your ADSL BT Broadband Basic? I know how routers work, but my point is that I cannot connect to the "basic" version of BT BToadband and wondered if BT may have blocked routers in some way

woodchip 16:33 22 Jun 05

I am on NTL/BT line 512mb with a 3Com Wireless Firewall Router Modem. at the Moment I am in Caravan on Wireless Laptop in my Back yard about 60ft away from router

Taff36 07:30 23 Jun 05

BT say it`s not suitable because, Like AOL, they want to charge you extra for a premium package to give you support. AOL wanted to charge an extra £7 a month and would only offer support for their wireless modems! Tweaked the settings myself and connected anyway.

One tip that took me ages to spot: Remenber to put in your full user name into the router. e.g. [email protected] or [email protected] The routers supplied by the respective companies seem to automatically add the "@aol.com" via the installed software interface. BT is probably the same.

rockerbilly 02:29 02 Jul 05
  wee eddie 11:05 02 Jul 05

If I remember rightly, from when I did my original research.

BT Basic is set to be used by a single PC via the BT Voyager 105 or whatever Router that was supplied to you.

That's the nature of it. I am sure that there will be a way around it, but wouldn't it be less hastle (only a couple of £'s a month) to upgrade.

sidmo 16:34 02 Jul 05

I use 3 computers with bt broadband basic and netgear router. Open an IE window and put in http:/ 192.168.0.1 without space and see if you can connect to netgear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…