BT Broadband Basic

agarm11 22:19 05 Aug 05

My mum is currently on AOL dialup, but she will soon be getting a new laptop with wireless. I have just had a look at the BT website, where it says that their Bt Broadband Basic package is not suitable for wireless networking. To be honest, she will only use it occasionally, and there will only be the laptop on broadband and paying the extra money for the none basic package isnt worth it.

Does anyone know why its not suitable? If its only because of the kit supplied then I'm not bothered as I will buy an ADSL Wireless Modem Router for the setup, would it work then?

Forum Editor 22:46 05 Aug 05

it would.

Taff36 08:51 06 Aug 05

BT and AOL both say their basic packages are not suitable for wireless. What they mean is that they won`t offer technical support to anyone unless they pay the premium rate and use the router/modems purchased from them. There are numerous threads on the forum where we have successfully set up a wireless router/modem with both BT & AOL Basic packages.

In my opinion both BT and AOL are deliberately misleading the public by not explaining why their basic packages supposedly don`t support wireless simply to increase their revenue. As FE says, get yourself a suitable wireless router modem and it will work.

agarm11 17:48 06 Aug 05

Thanks guys, I guessed that it would be something like that, thanks for the confirmation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…