Bt Broadband accelerator iplate

John Ross 11:32 09 Sep 09

I have read in more than one source that this device will NOT help ADSL speed if the router is plugged in away from the master socket. i.e. it only helps if the master socket is used.

I have also read the opposite.

Could you enlighten me as to which is true?

thank you!

OTT_Buzzard 12:05 09 Sep 09

"BT I-Plate - Will it work for you?
1. Do you have extension wiring?
Extension wiring is the telephone wiring, usually a small white cable, which often runs along your skirting boards or outside your house. It connects the main socket to any extension sockets you have. It doesn't matter if you use the sockets or not, as long as the wiring is there the I-Plate may help."

click here

Not sure if that answers your question or not!

Fingees 20:07 09 Sep 09

Jt replaces the bottom half of the master socket front.

It inserts a choke and things to prevent interference via the bell circuit.

It will improve speed most times,

It is just a screw on plate, and requires no other alterations to you system

I use one and all my extensions are ok, and my computer is well away from the mastwer socket.

Hopee that re assures you.

OTT_Buzzard 23:09 09 Sep 09

In that case wouldn't it be as effective just to unplug the bell wire, since it's not needed anyway?

Stuartli 23:14 09 Sep 09
  John Ross 09:14 10 Sep 09

Thanks.
I see as a BT customer I can get an Iplate for the cost of the postage, so have ordered and will fit today : it sounds like I then have to wait for the exchange to recognise an improvement in the quality of the line and then put up my access speed at soem point over the next 3-5 days.

Non BT customers can buy for £5 form BT shop.

I will feed back in a few days.

Stuartli 09:27 10 Sep 09

Don't expect miracles if the circumstances are not applicable for an iPlate fitting....

compumac 09:50 10 Sep 09

I fitted the iPlate about three weeks ago and I do not think it is my imagination but whenever I tested Broadband speeds with different website testers previously there had been quite a variation during the day. Since fitting the iPlate my speeds have not dropped to the lowest levels as displayed previously and the average has increased, albeit marginally.

PA28 22:40 10 Sep 09

See this thread click here

I have fitted the I-plate but having already disconnected the ring wire, have not noticed any difference in speed yet. Still diabolical.

Muergo 08:26 11 Sep 09

I had a TalkTalk second level engineer on the phone yesterday for about 45minutes. He minutely adjusted my profile and other parameters and now I am getting an improvement from 2000 to 4,300. But my major problem has been dropout/reliability, so if that does not work long term they are sending a BT engineer.

If it turns out to be my wiring, they (BT) will charge between £80 to £150 for the visit. TalkTalk say they do everything possible to avoid this so that's the reason it has taken months of system tuning to get where I am now.

I am at the stage of frustration that I would not mind paying that to fix the dropout once and for all, but at the moment it's fingers crossed.

Stuartli 09:35 11 Sep 09

BT is responsible for the wiring right up to the Master Socket from the exchange, so you would not be charged if any fault is found in this section.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…